An unsuccessful hunt

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
stumper

Re: An unsuccessful hunt

#11 Post by stumper »

Mohawk wrote:This is pretty far outside of the box because it requires yet more equipment, but lots of folks already have it. I have thought of hunting public ground by way of entering and exiting by way of water via boat or canoe. Here in Kansas, most of our public ground is around lakes. I reckon if you can find a honey hole for deer that's tough to get to by driving close enough and then hiking in, then maybe the way to get there would be with watercraft. I bought a canoe at a garage sale for $45. I haven't gotten to hunt or run traps from it yet, but I think there is potential in doing it.
I do have a canoe! Great idea!!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

A surprising place to hunt is on public land that has several bike trails .
The deer are used to seeing the bikes and have learned to just sit tight while they go by .
I know a couple guys that hunt a federal park that is just that way and they are successful very often .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

Very cool

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ttt
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#15 Post by Graps »

There can be an unsuccessful hunt.
Like if you slam your bow tip in the car door.
Or you discover that you left your insulated boots home and all you have is tennis shoes with four inches of wet slush you have to wade through.
Or you get all setup and your cell phone goes off and you need to get to the hospital right away.
You know stuff like that. :|
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

joe harrod1945

#16 Post by joe harrod1945 »

go deep in the woods my friend.it is hard to pattern deer on public land it can be done but it is hard.I like to hunt public land it gives a break from private land.I like to hunt wma in ky we are blessed with wma's.deer know where to go during gun season.most bow hunters will not hunt any further than 200 yds from their car.so take it deep.I hunt 5/6 hundred yds from my car.my stand weights 15 lbs so i can do that slowly.I am 73 yrs old an love to deer bow hunt.find a deer trial get down wind an hunt it be positive.hope this helps you.

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

Yeah, I like to hunt very deep actually. The last hunt I hiked more than 3 miles in, it was a 90 min walk from the car to and from. This year I have gotten some local tips and will hopefully be hunting more fruitful ground. The WMA I was in has a 1/13 chance of success according to LDWF, however, my new place is rated a 1/4.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

My last PHL hunt had my stand over a mile in from the parking area...as deep as I could go, actually. While I came home empty-handed, I saw more deer than ever before... Just not close enough to me!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”