A cool evening

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

A cool evening

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

Went out and climbed a tree this evening, I was sitting up on a point with a strong wind blowing all evening. Note to self, don't wear early season clothes in November!
Got up on the ridge and laid my stand down after finding a good tree where I could shoot either way if one happens by.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: A cool evening

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Stand set and ready to go up, glad I had that jacket tied on the side, needed that thing soon.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

View of ridge coming up the hill to my right, quite thick.
Looking forward..

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Another note to self, attach your shooting glove to your bow so you don't leave it in the truck! Cold bare fingers not a good combo for shooting, lucky me, I never saw a deer. Did have a big owl fly in a tree beside me and check me out, I wanted to take his picture but didn't want a flash as it was getting dusky dark. Squirrels kept me entertained most of the evening, a successful hunt without seeing a deer. Big dude had one slip up on him and blow at him for a while.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Stayed too late but wanted to see if I could hear any activity even though I wouldn't be able to see them. I have done this before and had deer walking all around me, then had to wait for them to pass on by to come down without stirring them up too bad. Amazing how the woods seem to come alive as darkness falls. Guess it's time to come down since I can see Marks light headed out on the distance. Climbed down carefully with safety belt attached all the way, leaving the woods now and it looks like it's time.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice pix!
It's amazing how the deer await the witching hour then start moving all over! As I was saying on an earlier thread, if I had one hour to choose to hunt, it would be the hour before sunset.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep; I once sat in a tree hours after dark, bow and arrows put up of course. My buddies were retrieving a deer way up on the mountain and it was either wait at the locked truck or just sit in my stand until I saw lights coming off the mountain, I was comfy so I sat.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Did you guys notice where my store bought quiver was? It stays attached to my stand, folds up in the back behind me when walking, and stays out of my way when climbing. That stand only weighs 16lb (before my pouch full of necessaries attached to the front bar). I forgot my twist tie that I usually attach my bow to so had to use a pull rope today. By the way; the arrows are handy when sitting in a stand but if one walks up on you when your walking in its not so easy with a bum shoulder to reach an arrow on your back.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Give him an IOU.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

Nice pictures , thanks for sharing .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”