Blacktails in my backyard.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Stiknstring

Blacktails in my backyard.

#1 Post by Stiknstring »

I sometimes wonder why I don't harvest a deer every year.
Here in Washington we are only allowed to harvest one deer a year, but we have whitetail, mule deer, and blacktail to choose from.
I spend almost a month in the woods with a tag in my pocket, but usually if I get a deer it is because one stands still too long while I am elk hunting.
I just don't try that hard for deer.
I am not sure why...
If I really wanted one, I could get one in my own back yard.
I just don't feel it.
The desire to kill seems to go away when I am surrounded by the signs of civilization.
I enjoy taking walks in the woods, the act of hunting seems more fitting when I am actually in a hunting camp.
I don't know why it makes a difference to me, it just does.
There is always a couple hanging around my house, and it is on 5 acres, with woods surrounded by Christmas Tree farms...
But still...
I know most of you hunt small woodlots and farmland, and see nothing wrong with it.
I just enjoy getting out of town and away from people.
It is not about the deer because there are some pretty nice bucks in my neighborhood.
Yet I would rather shoot a doe while at camp, than a buck in my backyard.
Sure the temptation is there, after all they get most of the vegetables in my garden, eat my apples and strawberries, and love to trim my rose bushes.
Yet, I ignore the deer in my yard when the season is open.
They are harder to find in the places I do hunt for them, and often I don't get my deer.
I think about why I don't just take my pick of one in my yard for the freezer.
But wonder if the meat would taste as good, or the satisfaction of filling my tag would be the same.
Dear in back yard 2 (600x338).jpg
Dear in back yard 2 (600x338).jpg (263.34 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
back yard bucks 2013-08-20 beautiful(5) (600x338).jpg
back yard bucks 2013-08-20 beautiful(5) (600x338).jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Blacktails in my backyard.

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I get that, where I use to live I had lots of deer around, had a salt block in my back yard, I would drink coffee and watch them. Then go off somewhere else and hunt them.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Blacktails in my backyard.

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice thoughts, Michael. Thanks for sharing.
I don't see enough deer living in the 'burbs to think like that, but I know the feeling. Lots of times when hiking or biking I'll see plenty of whitetails, and all I want to do is observe or take photos.
So, I get it.
Something about deer camp that brings out the primal in us all.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”