Passing up a shot?

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Passing up a shot?

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

For years, Ive made a practice out of passing up deer I had an easy opportunity to shoot at, especially bucks, but both sexes depending on stand location and its projected level of promise. For instance, some of my stands, will never see doe blood or young buck blood, because they are extremely promising for mature bucks. Those stands are set aside, strictly for mature bucks, or nothing. How many of you are willing to pass up a doe, waiting for a buck, or a young buck waiting for a mature one? Mind you, Ive taken a good share of doe and young buck, so I tend to hold out for a mature buck concerning my main tag, which ive killed less of. Im liable to fill a doe tag at any time I get the chance other then when hunting specific buck spots. Button bucks dont count and are fair game as antlerless here, and are treated as doe. How do you handle it, be picky, or shoot anything deer?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Passing up a shot?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Like you I have passed many times, even on some that make people shake their head at me. I posted pictures of a few bucks that was under one of our stands, ain't no way I'm going to shoot a doe or small buck from that stand! A few years ago I took so many pictures of them that my wife said that I had quit hunting! She said she didn't want to see any more pictures cause you can't eat them! I usually end up eating buck tag stew at the end of season after having several small to average bucks under me. I don't have much mercy on does other than as already mentioned about buck area.

Gamestalker

#3 Post by Gamestalker »

I don't normally hunt does with a bow. I hold out for the buck I'm after. I usually fill my doe tags with my flintlock rifle in the late season.

Stiknstring

#4 Post by Stiknstring »

We only get one tag.
One deer a year, The only ones I pass on are the ones in my yard.
Any other legal deer that is dumb enough to let me have a shot at it is in danger.
They taste too good to end up with tag soup, it tastes like paper.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I *might* pass a shot if the spirit moved me. Ain't happened yet....
Aim small, miss small!

Bearded Bowhunter

#6 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

I passed on a doe last year, because the buck 10 yards behind her was about to step in my path...only, he didnt. He never have me a shot. I have decided that this year, Im going to shoot any deer that presents me with a good shot.
I havent been alive as long as many on here have been hunting, so I dont have near the level of experience, and its hard for me to get in the woods with all that I have going on. I am a meat hunter, and the only deer I pass on are yearlings.
Might be a different story come rifle season though. I will pass on some deer with a gun.
Bear Grizzly 58'' 50#@28"
Samick Sage Takedown 60" 50#@28"

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

I hunt for meat so if it's legal I would like to have it. However I will pass a shot if I don't think I can ethically make it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Let me assure everyone, taking a deer with a trad bow is one heck of an accomplishment. I dont care what anyone thinks, its a challenge. So do not think, if you dont pass deer up, that its an inferior thing, because all deer have eyes, ears, and that blasted nose! I commend anyone that has the patience, stamina, and skill to score with trad gear period. They are all trophys in that respect.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Let me assure everyone, taking a deer with a trad bow is one heck of an accomplishment. I dont care what anyone thinks, its a challenge. So do not think, if you dont pass deer up, that its an inferior thing, because all deer have eyes, ears, and that blasted nose! I commend anyone that has the patience, stamina, and skill to score with trad gear period. They are all trophys in that respect.
+1 on that. If I'm meat hunting, the only deer I will pass on is an albino or one with spots...
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”