Out of state hunting

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Out of state hunting

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

I think that I may have shared this already but the place I had been going for many years with a bunch of hunting buddies has changed the rules this year. For the first time they did away with the extra tags that we had began going to LBL for in the first place. Now we have no reason to go there even though one of my closest friends that began this with me nearly 30 years ago has even built a house down there! We have a place to stay, a bunch ready to go, but have good hunting right here at home if we are going to have to use our state tags. A friend called me yesterday and ask if I would be willing to go out of state this year. He has been doing some research and thinks he is on something good and promising in Ohio. If I can Conger up the money for non resident tags I'm in! Any of you ever try hunting other states?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Out of state hunting

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I have half a mind to try hunting at the cabin 'Up Nawth'. I gun hunted there back in '02 or '03 I believe. I've gun hunted many times in Wisconsin but have never sprung for an out-of-state bow tag.
Aim small, miss small!

Gamestalker

#3 Post by Gamestalker »

Living only four miles from the line between NY & PA, I hunt both states every year. The PA non-resident license is a little expensive, but within a year or two I'll be able to but the resident license there. I already have the lifetime license for NY so I won't have to buy the non-resident license for NY when we move to our place in PA.

I know people that hunt Ohio & would love to hunt there myself. I've never been invited along with them though. If I was ever able to find a good place to hunt in Ohio, I'd try my best to make it work out as often as possible.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

For deer, I guess I've never really even considered it. We have whitetail and mule deer right here, and on one tag I can hunt both if I pay attention to which tag I purchase. We also have good amounts of pronghorn to hunt, and if you are lucky enough to make the draw...elk are in huntable pops now too.

With as many tags as I can purchase right here at home, its hard for me to consider deer hunting elsewhere, I just cant justify it.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Gamestalker

#5 Post by Gamestalker »

Shadowhntr wrote:..... its hard for me to consider deer hunting elsewhere, I just cant justify it.
Can't justify it! :shock:
If you were talking about a trip to the beach, or a golf trip or even to the mother in laws, :o I'd understand that. But, can't justify hunting.... That's not even thinkable! :x :roll:
I can always find a way to justify a hunting trip! :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Well I see what you mean there Jason but we probably have more limitations here. I made a Colorado trip many years ago but that was my last out of state hunt. We wouldn't be doing it if they had not taken away more tags.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Gamestalker wrote:
Shadowhntr wrote:..... its hard for me to consider deer hunting elsewhere, I just cant justify it.
Can't justify it! :shock:
If you were talking about a trip to the beach, or a golf trip or even to the mother in laws, :o I'd understand that. But, can't justify hunting.... That's not even thinkable! :x :roll:
I can always find a way to justify a hunting trip! :mrgreen:
Lol! I really cant justify it! As luck would have it, im in a State, where tons of nonresidents WANT to come hunt, because there are so many large bucks, and very high deer population. Id go outta State for elk, moose, bear, etc, but
there are honestly only a couple other States that offer equal or better whitetail hunting. Id be kinda crazy to go to a State that is not as good for whitetail wouldn't I? :lol:
I might do it, just to be with comrades , but honestly a weekend stump shooting could be cheaper and just as good for having a good time.

Iowa, is probably the only State id consider hunting whitetails besides right here at home in Kansas.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

The time is drawing nigh; leaving out this coming Sunday after Church! Being in revival last week kept me from going at all, I may try and cure that tomorrow evening!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Well don't tell anyone but I know two Pastors who will be absent from their home Church tomorrow evening, leaving for Ohio directly after morning service. Dont happen much, I have probably averaged over three times a week for 37 years now, not because I have to but I love it! I better preach hard in morning service, evening is going to feel weird.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im excited for you Tony!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”