Deer hunting strategies

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Deer hunting strategies

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Here's a 'quick-tip' reference thread for archery deer hunters. If you have any tips you have read about or used, feel free to share.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

DIVERSION

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Barry Wensel, in his Derrydale Press publication "Tree Stand Strategies", offers the following suggestion; when encountering a well-used deer trail that offers no viable shooting options to or from food sources or bedding, place an obstruction across the trail such as a log or blowdown branch that will require the deer to make a detour, and use your senses to anticipate where the re-routing will put your deer and set up an ambush site within shooting distance.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Deer hunting strategies

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Wensel in the same book advocates using human hair (from a barber shop) sprinkled on the ground to make deer avoid an area and hopefully drive them into your front door. I am a little leery of this one as I feel it might put the deer on high alert, but he claims it has worked for him in certain situations.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

I use the first suggestion almost every year, always well in advance of season.. In more recent years, guys have been hinge cutting big-ish limbs from their stand tree, to do the same thing.....but when deer encounter the hinged down limb, they turn to go around it and offer a nearly broadside shot. I think its unsightly, and many landowners might get pissed when they see it. So I stick with the brush stacking. but with stacking it, it does present the problem of deer jumping it, or eventually crashing through it, and it rarely last more then a season. Hinge cutting limbs down can last and be effective for years. Its also a calling card for passers-by, to steal your tree because its very noticeable. Its also very illegal on Federal ground, and many State grounds.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

Did you guys see that Clay Hayes video where he is hunting Mule deer in some rough and noisy terrain. He gave up trying to stalk and instead just bumbled about for what looked like a long time, within the deers field of view but not close enough to startle them. After a while the deer moved to go bed down or something and walked under a hill right next to him, looked like only about 30 yards away.

I guess he stood around so long they didnt view him as a threat? sneaky sneaky...

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Yep, saw that. Neat trick.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”