Mid day & all day hunting

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Mid day & all day hunting

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

With signs of the rut approaching and gun season beginning Saturday I'm in for the long haul tomorrow! I'll probably come to the truck long enough to eat but I want to be there mid day now for sure. All day in a stand it too much for these old bones nowadays but I'll be there as long as I can, or till I kill! Any of you also like mid day during the rut, or stay all day?

Jamesh76

Re: Mid day & all day hunting

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

I do sometimes, but only if I'm in a timbered area. alot of the spots I hunt have large open crop fields, and hay fields or cattle pasture. I will sit as long as I can in the mornings, then change spots in the afternoon. rarely do I hunt the same place both morning and evening.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I certainly do during the full moon....which is approaching. I like to be in good cover, and preferably between 2 doe beds on a buck travel route. Ive sat all day a lot, and ive also not even got there until 10 a.m. and would hunt the rest of day. Ive seen some mighty big bucks through midday hunts...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Honestly, I'm at my best starting at noon until dusk.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

Captainkirk wrote:Honestly, I'm at my best starting at noon until dusk.

x2

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

early morning I reserve for the drudgery of work life and coffee consumption.

Gamestalker

#7 Post by Gamestalker »

I used to be out there an hour before sunrise & hunt all day. But, any more (maybe it's an age thing) if it's really cold or wet when I get up & check the thermometer & weather, I head for the coffee pot. Then I might end up going out for the later part of the day if I don't get too involved in other things. Oh yeah, wind too. As I'm typing this I'm listening to the wind blow with gusting at probably upwards of 25 mph. I don't bother to go sit in a tree when it's doing that.
I'll still go out in those conditions during gun season, but I will be hunting from the ground & spend more time still hunting.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Stuck it out today other than coming down to help Mark with a doe he killed, told him not to shoot bait but he said they better not pass by him!

Ole Dave

#9 Post by Ole Dave »

Before my Uncle ARty Ritis came to visit and never left, I used to crawl into my tree stand before daylight and sit all day that last week of bow in PA (this week it would be normally) and leave dead dark 30!

Truth is I cannot keep still anymore...back starts to hurt, then hips, and now with a fake knee, I'd be afraid to try to come down those rapid rails in the dark after sitting that long.

Hasn't been a problem past few years as fall of 14' I didn't get to hunt as I was packing and prepping to move to TN, then last year another bust as no place to hunt... found one spot, but never got to scout it as we had a super wet spring and hot and the undergrowth exploded the week (last of april) I was up PA for a visit...got back to a jungle and decided ticks weren't on the agenda and knee was still in rehab.

Hottest and driest summer on record here, so no motivation and then this year, it stayed hot and tomorow is the 2nd DAY where it was a high below mid 60s-80's all fall....sucks!

But I just cannot force my bones to sit all day... and still hunting is hard work if done well... the mental part is tiring especially in country one doesn't know well enough and wants to just "go see".

I admire you guys who can do it like I used to...
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Our all day hunt was interrupted for a while when Mark took a doe, we had to get it on ice then back to hunting! I ask him why he would do such a thing as to shoot a deer when we were having so much enjoyment hunting. That just makes you have to get down and work, taking pictures takes less effort! :lol: :lol: He did take a good video of a small buck if I could just figure out how to post it.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”