Scent control

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Scent control

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Sure sounds like these two consecutive paragraphs are contradicting each other, or are open to interpretation by both DNR personnel and hunters. And we know who wins...
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#17 Post by J. Holden »

Thank you for inserting those paragraphs. I think the key there is the line about being able to ingest it.

I found out last night that there is an email address on the dnr website for questions regarding the rules and regs. I'm going to try and fire one off today. I'll let you know if I get a response back and if so what they say.

Jeremy

J. Holden

#18 Post by J. Holden »

I didn't mean to hijack this posters thread. I submitted an email though asking an IL conservation officer for clarification. I don't want a ticket!

-Jeremy

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

And now I'm curious. Let us know when you do.

Graps

#20 Post by Graps »

Don't look to me like you hijacked this thread .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#21 Post by Crazynate »

I store my hunting clothes in an air tight bag year round and I shower with a scent free soap. I am the kind of hunter that anal about wind. If the wind isn't right I won't go to that stand period. Last year a buddy bought some machine you strap to your tree and it's suppose to eliminate scent haha. I have no idea how or how you can prove it but between both his leases and 3 outa state hunts he didn't get a deer.and that's bad considering he hunts with an xbow to. Point is you have to keep it simple in the woods on my opinion. I've never believed in scent lock or stuff like that but more power to guys that do. I'm not against any of it I just chose to only play the wind.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Graps

#22 Post by Graps »

I don't use any of the store bought stuff , I might sometimes smoke myself with grass but mostly watch the wind .
No kirk , not that kinda grass .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:I don't use any of the store bought stuff , I might sometimes smoke myself with grass but mostly watch the wind .
No kirk , not that kinda grass .
Didn't think it was...this ain't Cali. :roll:
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#24 Post by J. Holden »

CaptainKirk, I received an email reply from an Illinois CPO. I've inserted it below. I don't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into a rules and regs debate. However maybe other states word their laws the same way and it could help clear the mud.

"Hello Jeremy,

The state of Illinois has not banned the use of cover/attractant scents, so I hope you had some money on the argument! I'm not sure if I can describe the law pertaining to deer baiting any better than you described, if they can ingest it, than you can not use it.   The law is there for two reasons. First, to stop the spread of CWD, and second, the sportsmen's groups of Illinois decided baiting deer was not considered a fair practice and set legislation in place long before CWD. 

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. 

CPO Justin Knop
#522"

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Thank you so much, Jeremy! This clears up a question I've had since first reading the revised regs.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”