Bear and deer loading for solo hunters

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

Bear and deer loading for solo hunters

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

I know every state has different laws on fresh kill transport and western states hunters do things different than midwest hunters (we are midwest hunters that bring out game animals whole to transport them to our processing setup on the farm where we break them down and process them like livestock in a clean, butcher room setting with running water, tables, etc) so we prefer to bring out game animals whole.

Im in my 50's and hunt solo most of the time and have a bear hunt coming up this fall so my son and I upgraded my bear and deer loading gear for my truck because loading a bear or a large midwestern buck into the bed of a truck with a high bed is not an easy task for a single person. We hoped to make it easier.

After trying and testing out a variety of methods (not a bad way to spend Fathers day working with your son getting ready for bear and deer season) We ended up with a 7:1 ratio block and tackle (freshly re-strung with 115 feet of rope) and an 8 foot (trough style) ramp to keep animals centered rather than sliding off the edge. Here is a 1 minute video of the final product and a test pull of 225 lbs (I think it was actually more than 225 since the crate corners really dug into the ramp increasing the friction) Either way, he should be good to go for any animal he kills while hunting alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USbA6psnwew
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Bear and deer loading for solo hunters

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I like to see a man with strong faith, even if it is in killing a big bear!
Neat trick. I get curious about this stuff and was wondering what your block & tackle was attached to in the truck bed corner? You must have installed some type of good anchor in there, couldn't be those light holders! (Lol; just kidding around there) Also; I noticed that when slack came in the rope at the top that the crate did not slide back down, was this just due to the digging in of the crate or do you have some type of stops on your pully? I may be elk hunting alone this fall and don't have good health, hum.

Ron Kulas

#3 Post by Ron Kulas »

I think the create was the main reason. The level of friction between the create and ramp was pretty great but with that said, even when I tested the block and tackle's ability to lift that load straight up using a rafter in the garage, I could hold the suspended load of 225 lbs with a pinch of the index finger and thumb on the rope. It does not want to unleash easily which is a good thing.
The Joy is in the doing.

Kybownut

#4 Post by Kybownut »

Good job as usual, glad someone is looking out for us old guys.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Nicely done, Ron!
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#6 Post by Ron Kulas »

Finally came upon some slippery plastic sheet stock 1/8" thick. The ramp is painted with a couple coats of exterior house paint and the plastic was added. Now to kill something and test it.

The Joy is in the doing.

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

That's a cool idea. Thanks for sharing!

Stiknstring

#8 Post by Stiknstring »

Must be nice to get them out whole.
I have to cut them into little pieces just to get them to the road, then a few miles out to the gate/vehicle.
Actually have been looking at a little tilt trailer being sold across the street from my house.
It has a mounted winch and battery, along with an elevated bar for winch cable mounted on front.
Just a little reluctant due to money issues, and the fact the place across the street is a cemetery and the trailer is for transporting coffins.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Stiknstring wrote:Must be nice to get them out whole.
I have to cut them into little pieces just to get them to the road, then a few miles out to the gate/vehicle.
Actually have been looking at a little tilt trailer being sold across the street from my house.
It has a mounted winch and battery, along with an elevated bar for winch cable mounted on front.
Just a little reluctant due to money issues, and the fact the place across the street is a cemetery and the trailer is for transporting coffins.
Wassamatta...you think it's haunted?
Aim small, miss small!

Stiknstring

#10 Post by Stiknstring »

:lol:
Don't know about haunted, but might be a little bad luck involved. :twisted:
Mostly just don't have the money..

Return to “DIY section”