Shadows 3under to instinctive challenge.

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
cap4382

Re: Shadows 3under to instinctive challenge.

#21 Post by cap4382 »

I shoot 3 under with a fixed crawl almost always now, sometimes I shoot split for fun shots @ the 3D range. I almost always aim using the arrow. That's just how I like to shoot. I'm also left eye dominant, and highly right hand dominant.

When I first started shooting trad, I was told by my mentor to only shoot split finger instinctively. That worked ok for me for awhile. 3 under has proven to be much more consistent for me, fixed crawl even more so. For me. At hunting distances (25 and in). All your doing is taking advantage of the arrows natural trajectory.

I don't care how one holds the string or aims (or doesn't aim) , whatever gives each individual the confidence they need for the shot. If I'm not confident with my shooting, I'm not going to the woods.

Graps

#22 Post by Graps »

I was going to stay out of this one but I think I should jump in.
I have taught archery for many years and when I get someone new, like Josh( USMC4life ) I don't even mention looking at the arrow.
I just have them draw back ( split ) with the arrow under there eye and tell them to just stair at the spot where they want the arrow to go.
Josh was shooting a 3 inch group at 10 yards in less than 15 minuets.

If I can't get someone shooting well that way, I explain gap shooting ( split ).

If that doesn't work I have them shoot 3U gap.

If that doesn't work, then it's sight pin.

I will also mention that split works much better for rapid shooting, like rabbit hunting. There's less chance the nock will pop off the string and you don't have time to figure out where the arrow tip is.

If someone is truly wanting to shoot instinctive, all you have to do is stand about 5-7 yards from a good sized backstop, get a good stance, hold your bow across and in front of you with an arrow nocked, stare at a spot, then close your eyes, draw up and shoot.
Just keep at it and you can adjust your left or right hits by changing your stance left or right.
When you start hitting constantly back out to 10 and 15 yards.
This technique is called "Blind Bailing".
And STOP LOOKING AT THE ARROW POINT.
Your welcome.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:I was going to stay out of this one but I think I should jump in.
I have taught archery for many years and when I get someone new, like Josh( USMC4life ) I don't even mention looking at the arrow.
I just have them draw back ( split ) with the arrow under there eye and tell them to just stair at the spot where they want the arrow to go.
Josh was shooting a 3 inch group at 10 yards in less than 15 minuets.

If I can't get someone shooting well that way, I explain gap shooting ( split ).

If that doesn't work I have them shoot 3U gap.

If that doesn't work, then it's sight pin.

I will also mention that split works much better for rapid shooting, like rabbit hunting. There's less chance the nock will pop off the string and you don't have time to figure out where the arrow tip is.

If someone is truly wanting to shoot instinctive, all you have to do is stand about 5-7 yards from a good sized backstop, get a good stance, hold your bow across and in front of you with an arrow nocked, stare at a spot, then close your eyes, draw up and shoot.
Just keep at it and you can adjust your left or right hits by changing your stance left or right.
When you start hitting constantly back out to 10 and 15 yards.
This technique is called "Blind Bailing".
And STOP LOOKING AT THE ARROW POINT.
Your welcome.
Thanks, graps! 8-)
This is EXACTLY the technique I used when I shifted from gapping to instinctive. It works. Chris, if you are left eye dominant, right handed and gapping, I will assume you are closing the dominant eye to get things in focus. For some (myself included) this results in a 2D sight picture and affects your depth perception more than you think. You might want to take on the challenge offered up here and see if it works for you?
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#24 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Never mind. I decided not to get involved in this topic.

J. Holden

#25 Post by J. Holden »

I didn't even know there was a thing called "3 under" until I was watching a Wensel DVD and saw one of them shooting that way. I thought they're pretty good at what they do so why not give it a try. I did a little research and away I went. I was really happy with my results, at 10 yards. What I didn't care for was the noise. I know that may strike a cord with some but to me it's one of the things I obsess over is noise.

After awhile I switched back to split which is how I started from the beginning. I'm certainly not as accurate as the gap shooters and string walkers. Believe me, I envy those guys. I shoot with a good friend at the 3D shoots whose a string walker. I can't even try and keep up.

But I will say that I primarily hunt with my equipment and that is how I practice. I just don't think that style would work for me in a hunting situation. That's why I choose split. If I can get my arrows within the pie plate sized vitals than I'm happy. I'm not shooting for the 12 ring when I'm hunting.

-Jeremy

stumper

#26 Post by stumper »

Ok first day of pure instinctual. Still holding string three under because it’s more comfortable. And yes shooting with new left handed bow. It’s odd thinking of all the years I have done shooting with my non dominant eye. I won’t lie it was weird shooting bow left handed at first but now about 60 shots in. It feels pretty good. Definitely getting used to it and i probably should done this a long time ago. At ten yards I’m hitting target pretty much every time. And many are bullseyes, which is crazy. The thing I’m having to concentrate on is the release which is to be expected it doesn’t feel natural to release left handed yet but my shooting is rocketing forward thanks to all the lessons I have already learned right handed. I did a few test with both right and left handed bows just holding them on target and then checking where the bow is actually aiming and despite all the years of right handed shooting I’m crazy hardcore left eye dominant. The exciting thing is already getting results aim by pure instinct that were not possible for me right handed. I did miss the target twice when I had a trash release two times. And yes I broke two arrows. This is gonna be interesting y’all... maybe I’ll take pics next time
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#27 Post by Graps »

I was thinking of trying the fixed crawl but you know what, after shooting split and instinctive for over fifty years, it seems kinda silly to even mess with it.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#28 Post by stumper »

graps wrote:I was thinking of trying the fixed crawl but you know what, after shooting split and instinctive for over fifty years, it seems kinda silly to even mess with it.
You never know might be fun...
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

cap4382

#29 Post by cap4382 »

That's what I thought as well, Dale. It felt really weird for the first week or so. It's a crazy accurate aiming method, even if you don't necessarily use the arrow to aim. Give it a decent try, you might be surprised

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#30 Post by Captainkirk »

My issue with fixed crawl is this;
Being right handed and left eye dominant, it took a while to nail down opening both eyes and ditching the 'gap'. I'm unsure if FC will mess with that process. Right now I do not aim and my mind 'blacks out' the fuzzy arrow in my right eye periphery...I simply stare at the target with both eyes open and let 'er rip. While I realize that the mond's mechanism still sees the arrow and uses it to gauge the distance (as in throwing darts, which I used to be pretty good at) it's no longer a conscious mechanism and I prefer it that way.
When I tried stringwalking/FC before I was still gapping.
Technically, FC should not interfere, but I'm still a little reluctant.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”