Stumpin'!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Longtrad

Re: Stumpin'!

#51 Post by Longtrad »

hrhrhr no.. I've had the chance to shoot a couple nice wheel bows and they are not for me..my interest in that is more for testing arrows than using the dang thing, I just like to play devils advocate from time to time :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Longtrad

#52 Post by Longtrad »

back on to stumping arrows.. I know we were talking about aluminums but I must admit, i have been thinking about a nice set of tapered dough fir more than metal arrows :o I have only shot cedar woodies myself... I cant help but wonder :oops: :oops: :D

Shadowhntr

#53 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol! Chicken! :lol:

I think as far as end impacts, douglas fir can take a bit more then cedar...but to my assessment its not by leaps and bounds as I've heard from others. Ive noticed they do not get dents and dings along the shaft as much or as quickly as cedar tends to. I do think douglas fir makes a better stumper, and for the money worth the upgrade (its close to the same)....even if the upgrade is more minimal then I had originally thought it to be. Im at a point now in shooting both wood types enough to really get a good and open minded perspective, that Im seriously happy with either one. Imo, either one fits the bill for target or hunting, with fir having a slight edge over cedar for traditional stumping. I certainly think you should try them, they are nice shafts. If you get them from Surewood, let me recommend spending the extra dime to get the premium shafts. They tend to come more straight, more consistent in diameter and spine then the hunter grade, and better quality with better looks.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#54 Post by Captainkirk »

FWIW I haven't shot either of my wheelies since "goin' trad". Ain't sold 'em yet, but haven't shot them. They don't eat much and clean up after themselves.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#55 Post by Carpdaddy »

I thought it was blasphemous to own one, :lol: :lol: Sold mine probably ten years ago. :oops: :mrgreen:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#56 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:I thought it was blasphemous to own one, :lol: :lol: Sold mine probably ten years ago. :oops: :mrgreen:
It might be. Ask me if I care... :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#57 Post by Longtrad »

this one cane arrow I made is taking some abuse, I'm wondering if bamboo might be the king of stumpers.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#58 Post by Carpdaddy »

Longtrad wrote:this one cane arrow I made is taking some abuse, I'm wondering if bamboo might be the king of stumpers.
Very well could be, they are super tough. Especially with a shell casing over the end it some other footing. The only weakness I have found in them is twisting, they will bust if you are trying to twist something into the end, like when tapering with a blade pencil type sharpener. Can you tell I'm speaking from experience? :oops:

Shadowhntr

#59 Post by Shadowhntr »

Thats great news! I had suspicion they were tougher then an ol cowboys boot leather, now its being confirmed. Man I gotta get some shaft material and play.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”