Stumpin'!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Stumpin'!

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Who else (besides graps) enjoys stumping? I haven't done any in years but am anxious to try it out using my (old) new K-Mag....certainly one of the lightest, nimblest bows I've ever handled.
What do you guys recommend for arrows with regard to durability? I used to stump using aluminums with blunts, am I wrong in thinking carbons may have a hard time with "sudden stoppage"? (in the event that you actually hit a stump!)
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Stumpin'!

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have enjoyed some good times in the woods stumping. I also do it with carbon arrows, I have posted pictures of some of the arrows I use for that and hunting, I foot them the last two inches with a piece of an aluminum glued on the outside, this helps keep them from busting when hitting something hard. Also you got to pick your stumps, cull a few, don't just shoot the first one that comes into view. I shoot for old mature and rotted stumps, shooting one too young can cost you an arrow or at least a field point from having to unscrew the shaft from the buried point. And here's my best tip; not all stump shooting involves stumps. Sometimes it's a hump of dirt, a strange leaf hiding on a dirt bank, or even an old tin can someone left behind. Always pick your background well before the shot, shooting across a forest floor with no rise or hump for your arrow to stick into will leave you scratching your head after your arrow slides under the leaves and dirt. I remember thinking once in my younger days back when I was shooting a selfbow and wood arrows of what I was doing...
Shooting sticks with sticks back at the orgin of the sticks! :lol: 8-)

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I love stumping. Ive been a number of times this year. Tony is right, anything safe and morally ethical is fair game.

I happen to shoot wood of course....and douglas fir is king of woods for stumping in my opinion. Also, I know they are high, but judo points save you money in the long run when stumping. Kustom King has them for a lot less, by selling pairs at a very good price.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Kybownut

#4 Post by Kybownut »

Yep, stumping is one of my favorite ways to shoot. Prolly the best hunting practice you can do especially for a ground hunter. Like Tony and Jason said anything is fair game.
You can also shoot kneeling, sitting or behind trees and here in the hills uphill or downhill.
Me and my buddy's did a lot of it when we were teenagers but didn't know what we were doing. We were just getting out in the woods with our bows and having fun.
I've used both wood and aluminum and bent a few and broke a few and prolly lost even more. I've never used a judo point but like Jason said I'm sure that would prolly be the best point regardless of what type of of arrow you uses.matter of fact I think I'll get me a few !

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

I actually used the judo points for years . Trust me you can still sose one .
The past few years I have been using ace hex blunts , they are much cheaper and I don't seem to lose any more than I did with the judos .
I don't seem to break arrows as often with them and when you hit a stump , they make a hole that is slightly larger than your arrows and are much easier to pull out .
I also prefer them because you can get them the same weight as your hunting heads .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Concerning arrows and stumping....with judo points, i have not lost a single arrow. I have broken a couple though. They were POC, and both broke shooting closed glass bottles. I also broke a nock or 2 the same way. I think somehow, those bottles seem to be very percussive when hit. I won't shoot them anymore because of that.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Point(s) taken. Yep. I used to shoot a leaves a lot, and rotten logs with moss on them. Yep, I lost an arrow or two. Yep, I stuck a few in a little too deep. But this was with wheelie bows, much faster and deeper penetration. The judos sound like a good idea to me; not sure if they even make glue-on blunts for wooden shafts. Plus, wood doesn't handle compression strikes all that well. I'm thinking maybe(?) the best arrow for random stumpin' would be Easton XX75's with judo points?
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

My boys sure have had good luck with them kirk. They both shoot 2117 game getter XX75's. They seem to be holding up well....

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Actually with the XX75s you can drive the insert into the shaft quite easily .
With good woods , they seem to the a direct hit better .
I truly break less arrows using Doug fur .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

X2 on the douglas firs. I am flat loving them for all i do. I seriously doubt I ever use anything else. Satisfied is satisfied.

Return to “Practice/Training”