Stumpin'!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Dan

Re: Stumpin'!

#16 Post by Dan »

I don't go to the woods with my bow without a couple arrows with blunts or judo points. I use the same arrows I hunt with, Arrow dynamics traditional or hammerheads. They are a tapered carbon shaft and they are very tough. The only way I've broken them has been when I hit one with another arrow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Interestingly enough, there's an article in the newest Traditional Bowhunter (APR/MAY 2016) regarding custom shafting; Kevin Forrester/Forrester Wood Shafts. For stumping he recommends rock maple over fir.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

Think about it , he's trying to sell them .
I've had a bad experience with that guy .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Old Shortstop

#19 Post by Old Shortstop »

I love stumping. My property is a target rich environment and I shoot them a lot. I don't know if there is better practice.

D.P.

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:Interestingly enough, there's an article in the newest Traditional Bowhunter (APR/MAY 2016) regarding custom shafting; Kevin Forrester/Forrester Wood Shafts. For stumping he recommends rock maple over fir.
Most of your hardwood shafts are extremely tough. Ash is another very tough shaft. But there are other factors that may not be so convenient that comes along with them. The tapers must be ground or sanded, straightening requires heat and multiple attempts, and typically they run heavy. Some are a pain to stain if you like that sort of thing.

I like handling and shooting softwoods...and of which, Fir is king.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

My time last summer killing dead trees...

My granddaughter helped...

After we killed all the stumps, we viciously attacked some helpless paper plates.

Did anyone else get in any stumpin' time this year?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#22 Post by Carpdaddy »

The river bottom property I hunt is a stumpers paradise. During the mid day time Monday I did a little shooting. The river gets up and covers a lot of the fields and woods, when it goes down it leaves a mess of garbage! There are several jugs, bottles, buckets, and even 55 gallon drums for poor shooters. :lol: I passed on a basketball because the background was a creek, but slipped up on a small toy football and just tipped the edge, it got away. :oops: When the backwater gets up again it will change all the targets and put out new ones.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:The river bottom property I hunt is a stumpers paradise. During the mid day time Monday I did a little shooting. The river gets up and covers a lot of the fields and woods, when it goes down it leaves a mess of garbage! There are several jugs, bottles, buckets, and even 55 gallon drums for poor shooters. :lol: I passed on a basketball because the background was a creek, but slipped up on a small toy football and just tipped the edge, it got away. :oops: When the backwater gets up again it will change all the targets and put out new ones.
Those footballs can be treacherous little devils. :?
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#24 Post by Longtrad »

dont try and stump shoot glass bottles, arrow death trap!

ive been using carbons for stumping this year and they have been fine, typically failures come from the insert being forced back into the shaft. Honestly I break more arrows by accidentally hitting them with those dang VPA small game thumpers, those things will straight cut your arrows in half if you try to use them for stumping and shoot at the same target twice.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Good to know, Clay!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”