Stumpin'!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Shadowhntr

Re: Stumpin'!

#31 Post by Shadowhntr »

...as a matter of fact, both boys have bent the judo points right where the point starts protruding from the bigger ball like portion where the spring arms are. Bent them hard too. 2117 Arrows were fine though.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#32 Post by Longtrad »

dang bent the judo but not the arrow? those must be tuff stuff, i played around with some 2013 but those would break just looking at them.

Shadowhntr

#33 Post by Shadowhntr »

Id be lying to say im not impressed with them. Id of never imagined an aluminum arrow could be so rugged. Ive seen them things bounce off numerous objects in the timber that I just KNEW ruined it....only to find it ok. I honestly don't know what is keeping them from bending or breaking. Both boys will just grab a practice arrow, unscrew field points and on goes the judo. They will go stumping and are not one bit easy on them. Then they eyeball them, and swap back to field points to target practice again. No way even my doug firs can take what ive seen them 2117s take. Crazy things dont know when to die....lol!

Ive actually bent a couple judos too, with my douglas firs, which didnt break then either.

Shadowhntr

#34 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'll add, the boys are using the Gamegetters, not camo hunters or legacy.

Longtrad

#35 Post by Longtrad »

Is there a difference aside from the graphic? I'm assuming so?

Shadowhntr

#36 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know there isnt with camo hunters and legacy. Im not sure about Gamegetters. Im guessing not, but they use to be a bit cheaper made years ago. Idk why they are listed as 600, 500, 400, etc.....now either.

Longtrad

#37 Post by Longtrad »

Yeah I saw that too, 2016s are 500 and 2117s are 400

I wonder if they will phase out other inbetween shafts? I hope not!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#38 Post by Carpdaddy »

I was under the impression that aluminum arrows would be no good for stumping, guess I just thought that way due to the number of them I bent in my younger days. I was just hard on them most likely, that's back when I hunting with training wheels! :lol:

Shadowhntr

#39 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im betting some aluminium sizes would be too fraile Kirk. But there are a few "heavy duty" ones that do and would work fine. 2018, 2117, 2216, 2219....are all really tough aluminums. Shooting them out of trad bows makes a bit of a difference over compounds! No doubt, they certainly can still be destroyed, ANY arrow can be and ive destroyed some myself. With really hard shooting heavy bows, its naturally going to get worse. However with lower bow weights, certain aluminums are surprisingly darn tough. Woods never cease to amaze me with their resilience, but I can attest first hand, that spine for spine, the 2117 at least, have proven tougher then any of my woods of similar spine and weight. If you think about it, there is a reason the aluminum arrow about put wood arrows out of buisness. For a number of factors im sure, but no matter what you may hear, resilience is one factor to look at, at least for those "heavy" size shafts.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#40 Post by Carpdaddy »

Did you just call me Kirk? :oops: I may not take offense too it but poor Kirk, his reputation is destroyed! :lol: :shock:

Return to “Practice/Training”