Every practice dont go well

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Shadowhntr

Every practice dont go well

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

Went out and slung my heavyweight 865gr woodies tonight. My first few rounds were Id say not good. The whole session wasnt to whippy, but Ive shot worse. These arrows are still a little stiff, so one tiny flaw in my form and its off flyin weird. Im in the process of getting new shafts AGAIN, since I cant very well add to the 450gr end weight to weaken them. I had cut em and had em tuned, only to find my nocking points had moved badly. When I put em where they belonged, these arrows flew stiff. So its start over for me. No biggie, I can shoot these until I get em done. Until then, I just gotta deal with so so shooting.

My 1" leaf

16 yards

27 yards....865 gr falling a bit. Yanked one real low from dropping my arm.

The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

Re: Every practice dont go well

#2 Post by stumper »

If this is bad practice. You don't want to see my good practice.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I'd take that on any good day! That's some purdy pink; no wonder the hummingbirds like you.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Ya wouldn't find me grousing about groups like that!
Aim small, miss small!

Bearded Bowhunter

#5 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

there were a few flyers, but those are pretty decent groups at 27yds. If Im within 3'' of where I was aiming in any direction, I feel it was a good shot that would have been well within the kill zone on a deer. I like when my arrows are touching and all, but Im not disappointed in a 5-6'' group at 20-25yards either.
Bear Grizzly 58'' 50#@28"
Samick Sage Takedown 60" 50#@28"

Jamesh76

#6 Post by Jamesh76 »

I cant shoot that good on a good day.....

Not sure how much weight you need to add. But if you have an old shaft, try drilling out the end and insert a nail. You could also pour lead if you have any and a melting pot.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Jamesh76 wrote:I cant shoot that good on a good day.....

Not sure how much weight you need to add. But if you have an old shaft, try drilling out the end and insert a nail. You could also pour lead if you have any and a melting pot.
From a very accurate and technical side of facts, you are right on the money James. More weight would indeed bring them into submission. The problem is, im already packin 450gr up front on a 865 gr arrow, and the limit of trajectory loss for my light bow is right about there for what I can personally stand. 825-865gr arrow, is good for me and my bow out to 20yards, but im afraid 900gr will cut my distance of my capacity of accuracy below 20 yrds. I can do that, as most my deer harvest are around 12 yards, but the thing is these are my practice arrows, and my hunting arrows are 825gr, and I dont really want to be that far away from their weight. At one time, I had em right at the exact same weight, but I had a string serving malfunction id never experienced causing me to tune them to nocking points set 3/8" too high. When I fixed the problem, these flew stiff and thus my current situation. At 450gr heads if I shoot correctly, they fly pretty decent, but I know they could be flying perfect with less sensitivity. So back to the drawing board! No biggie, done it a million times. (Building /tuning arrows)

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

How much of that 450 is Woody Weight, Jase?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Been doing a little fine tuning myself, I'm currently shooting a 400 spine Carbon Express arrow with 300 grain up front, 30" long. I felt like out of my 45 & 48# bows that a 500 spine should work but keep shooting a little weak. So I did the dreaded cut off on a few of my new 500 spine Heavy Hunter arrows, cut them down to 29", I draw 27". This seems to have taken care of the problem. I'll shoot more to be sure before I cut any more since my plucking release habit sometimes tricks me into thinking I have a spine issue. Here is my best of two rounds at 30 yards, the two bright are 500 spine GT Heavy Hunters, and the two darker are 400 spine CE. I hate these homemade targets with the rags, they make arrows turn rather than stick straight in. By the way; for some odd reason I did worse at 15 yards.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:How much of that 450 is Woody Weight, Jase?
150gr kirk.

Return to “Practice/Training”