Split and/or three under

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Split and/or three under

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

The question arose some time ago on who shoots three under and who shoots split finger. I gave what was probably the strangest answer when I said both. I normally shoot split on longer distances and three under on those close shots. I began noticing lately though that I had been shooting all split and about forgot about changing when close. A few days ago I caught myself plucking the string and getting some flyers among every decent group. Since I was shooting between 15-20 yards I thought I would shoot some using three under in an attempt to beat the issue I was having. First shot was surprisingly good, so was the next ones, and I wasn't plucking anymore. After scratching my head I backed up to 20-25 yards and still did well. Then I took four arrows at 20 yards and did a test by shooting one split, the next one three under, and the same again. All four arrows were extremely good (for me), two just to the left and two just to the right of the bullseye. Since then which I think was Tuesday I have been playing around with this more and more, the only difference is that I am not getting as many flyers as I was with split. Should I not be noticing more of a difference with two different styles of shooting? Maybe it's because I have done it on close shots but I feel it's strange that I can't tell much difference.

Mitch Edwards

Re: Split and/or three under

#2 Post by Mitch Edwards »

I used to shoot 3 under but I've switched to split because all of my bows except the black widow are quieter with split fingers. The bw was tillered for 3 under. I never really switch back and forth though. I have enough problems lol. Your more talented than me

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

So since Tuesday I have been playing more and more with the three under, yesterday I shot only three under and was rather pleased. This morning I walked out and launched my first arrow at a pine cone sticking out of the hole in my worn out and now nearly laying target and boy was I tickled. I launched the second and heard it slap my first one. Didn't do as good after but I then stepped it off at 27 yards, here was my first two shots at a pine cone that I may never repeat!... I may be a convert.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Now I will get up early in the morning, climb a tree, and probably miss one at five paces!! :lol: :oops:

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

I started out split, partly because I didnt know about three under and partle because my nocks didnt all fit so i needed an extra finger on top to control the arrow.

After a while I started to educate myself through the internet and got a proper string that was served to fit my nocks and tried 3 under.

I liked the fact that it brought the arrow closer to under my eye and balanced the pressure of the string across my fingers. I still think 3 under is the most comfortable way to shoot.

However after i got my girzzly I never shot it well until I went back to split, I feel I get quieter bow, more control of the arrow, and a bit more performance out the bow, all at the cost of a little bit more finger pinch on my pointer finger (I think it is a side effect of having my string hand angled up a bit, still trying to master this whole form thing)

Either way I moved back to split and I dont think I will change, although I would really like to try a bow that is made for 3 under.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote:Now I will get up early in the morning, climb a tree, and probably miss one at five paces!! :lol: :oops:
Is that what this is about Tony? Ive seen some pretty awesome groups come from your split finger shooting too. If you think its your shooting as the cause of some misshaps, I beg to differ. You are an excellent shot for all I have ever seen. Any mishaps at deer on your part, is purely an emotional /mental issue, not a shooting one!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Well I climbed the tree today with lots of confidence after yesterday's shooting, nothing gave me a chance though. Came out lay lunch and stopped by Marks and there stood a nice buck in his back yard. He had put real antlers on his deer target. :? I grabbed a few arrows and began the stalk and shot, things surely didn't go as planned! What happens to a feller from one day to the next is beyond me, I was all over the place. Mark got cocky and grabbed his bow also and what happened over the course of the next 20 minutes or so was sad, and Mark wasn't doing much better. Lucky we didn't see any or the woods may have been filled with deer laughter! Now to wonder why.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Sometimes it just works that way.
There's been days when I had to quit shooting because I was bustin' nocks. Then there's been days when I had to quit shooting because I was losing arrows. :shock:
No rhyme or reason...just IS.
Aim small, miss small!

Ole Dave

#9 Post by Ole Dave »

Captainkirk wrote:Sometimes it just works that way.
There's been days when I had to quit shooting because I was bustin' nocks. Then there's been days when I had to quit shooting because I was losing arrows. :shock:
No rhyme or reason...just IS.
Boy, did you say a mouthful there...

As one source said somewhere, "Good shooting is 80% mental and the other 20% is mental!"

Or something akin to that...

I've posted somewhere that it seems that when I have had to lay off shooting for a while, then get back to it, I seem to be dead nuts on with the first shots, which to me are the only ones that count.

I've presented that to some old salts who say it's simple: When I've been away, then come back, I let go and let it happen, as I KNOW what to do, and do it without thinking.

Then when I shoot more, I want to improve and I start THINKING and ANALYZING and accuracy all goes to pot! :(

After this recent shoulder surgery, I wasn't to do much for an extended period... so I decided to wait for gun season to hunt...then sho nuff, up comes someone out of the blue who invites me to hunt their land...NOW WHAT?

I dug out some light bows and tried pulling them per my PT's direction... I knew from earlier surgery a decade or more ago, it hurts more to let go of the string then pull a bow back...recoil I guess.

Arm goes flying back and that on an injured or repaired area HURTS!

So I just pulled... then slowly, I started to shoot. Found some arrows I hoped would work and tried them and OMG...I hit like I was a pro! But after 8 shots, shoulder would ache... I now only shoot about one time/week and only 6-8 shots.

At 20, I'm good to go and that is my self imposed limit anyway...

i'd tend to agree with your buddy...you're being your own worst enemy...you shoot well, but when you TRY, then maybe not!

I know if I don't have a good backstop, I worry about losing an arrow, I choke... I'm trying to hard.

I also read once that " You cannot hit what you're trying hard not to miss!" :shock:
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

I started out split because that is all I thought there was. I am cross-eye dom so it pays to get the arrow as close to me eye as possible. I have much more consistent shooting with three under. Now I do switch between instinctive and gap. I shoot gap under 25 yards greater than 25 I switch to instinctive. Works for me.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Practice/Training”