Split and/or three under

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Split and/or three under

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

The question in my mind and probably some of you is why does it not make more difference than it does. So I did something unusual for me, I began trying to notice why. I normally don't think about my anchor, I've done it so much that it just naturally happens. But noticing today I caught that with three under my index finger that is directly under the arrow is anchored in the corner of my big mouth. When shooting split I caught that it's my middle finger that hits the corner of my mouth, that just means that my arrow nock is pretty much in the same location either way! Yes I know I'm weird! So I guess I'll be shooting this bow split finger and if I hunt with the other one I'll shoot three under. Or however it happens at the moment! :lol: :ugeek:

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

3 under forever
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

I believe 3 under is probably a better method...IF you can adapt. I don't have the time nor patience. Split feels right and is close enough for government work.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

If you picked up on this last page then you missed the test I did at the end of the last page where I shot 15, 20, & 30 yards, one arrow split, and one three under. Can you tell which?? :lol:

Crazynate

#20 Post by Crazynate »

I shoot split myself but I will say 3 is a bit more comfortable. If it wasn't louder I might consider switching. I think my hardest thing with 3 under is I tend to concentrate more with secondary vision on the place of the arrow in my sight picture. For me as an instinctive shooter it throws me off because I confuse my mind when I am engaging the target. If I used any other method of aiming besides instinctive I would definitely shoot 3 under.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#21 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote:If you picked up on this last page then you missed the test I did at the end of the last page where I shot 15, 20, & 30 yards, one arrow split, and one three under. Can you tell which?? :lol:
Carpy, I went back and looked. In my humble opinion, thems all deer killing arrows and the 20 and 30 are killing everything we hunt! Since sometimes we can make small mistakes, even the 15 arrow to the right could happen with either style. I think more then anything, you are proving what I've practiced for years. Split or 3 under can be accurate and both need to be practiced and time spent to perfect.

As I've stated before I've never seen a need to deviate from split. I can be plenty accurate and consistent with it and have never needed to go any other direction. It's all in what feels most comfortable and natural to each person.

It's really cool if someone as yourself can master both styles. Me, I'm not chancing change on something my body and brain has spent 30 years in adjusting to. If I couldn't hit, it may be different and I'd maybe chance it then, but im happy with split.

Way more important for any archer, is to practice to master a good and consistent release. Where you anchor or how you hold the string is the least of anyone's worry, compared to getting that elusive good release down pat.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

Three under is significantly more comfortable for me and I haven't noticed any increase in noise since I switched. Like anything some days will be good some days will be bad which makes you appreciate the days you should like a god so much more I find that I just want to stick with one method and the master it to the best of my ability. I feel like switching it up for me would create disaster.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

#23 Post by Longtrad »

I have heard of some people who aim with the tip of their arrow using 3 under for 20 yards and closer, and split for the longer shots. I wouldnt wan't to mix up my shot sequence that much myself, but sounds like a cool idea if you can shoot both well.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#24 Post by Carpdaddy »

Don't know about well, some days good and some bad, but I have done it both ways a lot. It's not at all unusual for me to grab the string three under when one comes in close range, but to use split at longer distances. But again; the arrow nock is pretty much in the same place either way, just a different finger touching my mouths corner.

Return to “Practice/Training”