Accuracy goals

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Longtrad

Re: Accuracy goals

#16 Post by Longtrad »

oh man I think the first part is pretty dang hard too. at least for me

Gun hunting is so much different, you get 200 yards to the beast then you can start thinking about a shot opportunity, 200 yards is doable for most people. With a bow you need to think about getting in even closer, getting into 100 yards is hard and dont count for beans if you are chasing them with a stick and string. getting in 70-50 yards, thats where it starts to get really fun, I see the appeal of the wheel bow here.

but the stick and string.... you still need to close the gap more. A semi successful stalk is such a rush, even with no shot opportunity

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

I agree with the school of thought that the first arrow is the one that matters. Whether you get better or worse after that first shot is just prep for that next first shot. I have been doing something strange for the last few weeks that has helped my concentration and focus, my first arrow of every day's shoot has been from 40 yards. You just don't shoot 40 yard shots without getting focused. :idea:

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Where the heck is the target? I need my binoculars. ....lol! ;)
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

Surely you can see the piece of pine cone stuck in the target. Not the block target on the left and past the big one, that's my broadhead target. Today I shot low, three arrows in very bottom of target. Some days I do quite well to my surprise but don't know it until I walk up to the target. And yes I know that a deer could be gone before the arrow got there, I just do this to help me focus on still targets. :mrgreen:

Ole Dave

#20 Post by Ole Dave »

Pine Cone? I can barely see if there is a tree there, let alone pine tree!

Fellow who invented Non Typical Treestands and marketed them, Wayne Prjeans, promoted shooting ONE arrow 2x day AM and PM in low light at longer distance.

His theory was that if you make yourself really pay attention to form for that ONE shot, you're a whole lot better off then if you shoot dozen or so arrows...

We only get that one first shot at a deer 99% of the time, or I should say that is all I ever get is ONE!

I've heard guys say if you bear down and get good at 40+ those chip shots are sooo easy. With a bow, I don't think there are chip shots... movement, twigs unseen--- a Game of inches
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#21 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im never EVER shooting with you Tony....it would just get to embarrassing for me.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#22 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay so I'll show you the pine cone and the shots. The picture above was taken before the first shot that morning, I shot two arrows from there at 40 and two from 30 yards. If I didn't know me I would think I was telling one! :lol: The first two arrows of the day were from 40 yards and they are two of the three in the bunch beside the cone. Arrow three from thirty was there also, I heard the third arrow hit another but still didn't know how close I was until I walked closer. On the Fourth arrow from 30 I plucked the string and shot far right. Now before I get the big head let me confess that I haven't come close to doing this since! Like today when I took three arrows over and hit the bottom on all three! I was very surprised to see this and may never top it, but I did it once! :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#23 Post by Carpdaddy »

Later that day from much closer distances... Why?? :oops:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#24 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:Later that day from much closer distances... Why?? :oops:
Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug...
I have made some unreal shots and groups in rare moments of brilliance...then whiled away the rest of the day (or week) trying to replicate it.

25 yards, trying to hit the nock of the arrow I just shot (3 groups of two)

30 yards, second group of the day...

Two warm-up shots before going out to hunt last year

First group of the day earlier this summer, 20 yards (no,the second group was nowhere that good!)

It happens. Not often for me, but it happens. Like Tony, I conveniently forget to take pictures of the "not-so-hot" groups but to me, this is proof in itself that I am CAPABLE of doing that every time. Why I don't, I haven't figured out yet.
Aim small, miss small!

nm41mag

#25 Post by nm41mag »

most of my radical flyers have easily diagnosed sources. German shorthair Id rather not shoot and his intrest in all things feathered Whoa stay standing on his lead he chases arrows. he also anticipates their arrival. He has 2and 1/2 acres in the fence, and Esp draws him to the target whenever I reach full draw. I tried standing on his lead then he pulled me off target. Now I try to lock him in the shed. Grandson pointing out a spider or bug. Wife with an emergency jar to open. but when the arrows all go different ways it is hard to tell.

Return to “Practice/Training”