Never make changes during season

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Never make changes during season

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

At least the smart folks know better. But as I posted earlier this season I switched to all three under after years of split finger shooting except for very close shots. Now I'm about to make another switch, or at least give it a try. I have never given much effort at using a tab, started with a glove and always did it that way. Today I ordered a Bateman cordovan three under tab from Big Jim. Wanted a good quality high end glove but Santa just can't handle the price, guess I've been too bad! :geek:

Ole Dave

Re: Never make changes during season

#2 Post by Ole Dave »

Good luck with that transition...

I've always shot gloves...

I made friends with a good ole boy named Ed Schlief, who owned/operated Ak Bowhunting Supply for years out of his Anchorage, AK home.

During that time he created a myriad of interesting trad related "stuff" including the Berlin made SUPER GLOVE with cordovan tips... I had several of them and still use the original for practice with a few others "tucked away".

I hope I have enough to outlast my shooting days... which of late might not be that hard!

Sadly, Berlin no longer made the gloves, Ed tried other vendors/makers but was disappointed, saw some knock offs surface that were cheaper imitations, but when his long estranged son reunited with him, he passed the biz to Garrett which now operates out of Seattle, but...is no longer geared toward trad.

Ed passed this past year and I lost a great friend.... We used to rendezvous at DEnton Hill...for several years... always a joyful time spent with Ed.

Good luck on your tab shooting! Just the glove comment brought back a flood of memories... ;)
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Any tab shooters here?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:Any tab shooters here?
I switch back and forth. I shoot better with a tab, honestly.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I also shoot tab and glove. Split, but a tab. I actually really like both glove and tab. I tend to shoot more tab in summers heat. I don't think, at least in my mind, there is much difference. I draw, anchor, shoot and follow through. Its all the same to me....even bare fingered.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I had an old cheap tab that I tried a few shots with and it was about the same for me also. I hope a good quality one will do even better. I was thinking the opposite than you Jason, rather than using during hot weather I thought it would be good for cold, that way you could wear a full and warm glove. I also do the bare finger thing often, a lot of days my first few shots are with bare fingers.

Ole Dave

#7 Post by Ole Dave »

Bare fingers? Dayumn! Remind me never to tick you off! Hard arse buggar! :0

I have a mitten with a flap that allows me to keep glove on inside, and when I want to be ready, it flips back so fingers protrude and a velcro thing keeps it back out of the way!

Never found a tab I liked. Ed had some with sealskin on I should have gotten... I find that not using thick leather between me and string leads to tendon soreness... Danged Arthritis... :(
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Couple of old Bear bows

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have some of those type gloves also Dave, used them last season, I'm still thinking the tab has advantages. Like picking your nose!

Ole Dave

#9 Post by Ole Dave »

Carpdaddy wrote:I have some of those type gloves also Dave, used them last season, I'm still thinking the tab has advantages. Like picking your nose!
:lol: indeed, trade offs for sure...

I have seldom been privy to a stand I could let in place and go climb in and sit down to hunt...but a few times...late season up home... With a love, it's ON and climbing into a stand with a glove is not the same as with a tab... I even tried putting UP hang on stands with a glove on for the afternoon sit when taking up and down as I moved around... now that will wear out a cordovan tipped glove in jack time...makes some things dicey...

Course if I was a heman like some, and could shoot bare fingers, it'd be moot... but unfortunately, last 20 yrs of my work life I drove a desk for a living and lost the tough hands!

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol! I cant do a typical for me full length session bare fingered. I can get about 30 shots and I have to go to wearing protection. Im shooting lightweight bows though in mid to lower 40's. My preferred way to hunt, is bare fingered, no arm guard. Simple, and nothing to forget. My last 2 deer, including this years doe, was bare fingered. The other was my biggest buck yet last year...though ive killed a good number of others bare fingered. At the moment of truth, you dont even notice.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”