Instinctive fixed crawl string walking gap shooting method

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Instinctive fixed crawl string walking gap shooting method

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

:lol: :lol: Well you ought to be corn-fused now! :lol: :shock:
I have always just mainly focused on the target and shot, mostly with both eyes open, even though I'm left eye dominate and shot right. But I keep getting curious and find myself watching videos of guys who use these various methods with great results. Just wondering if anyone around here ever tried gapping, string walking, fixed crawl, or any other method of shooting? The only time I actually notice my arrow is when I'm at long range, I've done just enough to know my tip is on the target at 30 yards. I'm not being negative or critical of any method by the way, just curious. :geek:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Instinctive fixed crawl string walking gap shooting meth

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote::lol: :lol: Well you ought to be corn-fused now! :lol: :shock:
I have always just mainly focused on the target and shot, mostly with both eyes open, even though I'm left eye dominate and shot right. But I keep getting curious and find myself watching videos of guys who use these various methods with great results. Just wondering if anyone around here ever tried gapping, string walking, fixed crawl, or any other method of shooting? The only time I actually notice my arrow is when I'm at long range, I've done just enough to know my tip is on the target at 30 yards. I'm not being negative or critical of any method by the way, just curious. :geek:
Yes, I used to gap shoot. It works very well at a fixed known distance. When it starts to fall apart is when you are guessing yardage or it is changing (i.e. walking animal). I have meant to try a fixed crawl but haven't got around to it yet. Seems perfect for hunting. I don't string walk for various reasons and don't intend to.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I had never really looked at the fixed crawl method until today other than a quick pass by. I can't help but wonder of that wouldn't be putting excessive pressure on the bottom limb. I would think that it would have to at least be louder. I don't really know??

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

I used to use the tip of my arrow to help me aim, I kind of thought of it as a gun barrel with no back site, but maybe its what they call gap shooting too... not sure. But the basic idea was that I held point under at a closer range, then on target at about 30 yards then above target beyond that. I never marked off distances and just went at it until I got the hang of it. After a bit it I wondered what the difference was between me guessing a gap or just shooting instinctive.

So I switched to instinctive and I like it more, I think the aiming and paying attention to the arrow just added another element to think about that I didnt need to be thinking about. Plus now I can shoot arrows of different length without trouble.

I dont really know what to think about the string walking and all that, Some of those guys on youtube sure can shoot well with it though. Seems just kind of weird to me.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes to both...Yes, you were gap shooting. And yes, fixed crawl puts some additional stress on the lower limb while stringwalking (being variable) can put a LOT more stress...which is why I don't mess with it. Remember; most of my bows are over 40 years old. They don't need any abuse.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

While its true there are gappers and string walkers on youtube that can tear a target bull assunder, there are plenty of instinctive shooters that can do the same, even if the bulls eye is flying through the air... :? I dont think one is superior to the other, except in the case of a fast moving areal target...then instinctive shines.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Shadowhntr wrote:While its true there are gappers and string walkers on youtube that can tear a target bull assunder, there are plenty of instinctive shooters that can do the same, even if the bulls eye is flying through the air... :? I dont think one is superior to the other, except in the case of a fast moving areal target...then instinctive shines.

Very true, There are people that can prove all styles work well. I guess its just finding one that works for you.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Not looking to change my way of shooting at all, just curious as to how well these things work, and wondering if we had any here who used any of the methods. Although I don't intend to change I am always looking for tips that can improve my shooting. Sometimes watching these things I pick up something helpful. :idea:

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

I pick up something helpful when I watch them. They hit bullseyes and keep the arrows on the target butt in general. Man....that would be nice not losing arrows.... :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

I would have to say that I have never knowingly shot an arrow with none of my fingers touching the arrow. Some if those guys are far below the arrow with their fingers, just looks weird to me but I still seek to learn something and I sure can't learn anything beneficial from the TV! :?

Return to “Practice/Training”