Stick, string, and shivering temps.

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Stick, string, and shivering temps.

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

Flung a few arrows yesterday in the cold with what seemed like 100 pounds of clothing on! Shooting a longbow with a heavy jacket, a face bogin, and heavy gloves can alter ones shooting ability if not practiced! Tried the fold back mitten type gloves with a tab under. Shot with mitten finger cover open and closed. Also with and without a tab. It's a different feel when you don't have a finger touching your face but I did okay; for me anyway. Got any good tips for cold weather hunting and shooting? :idea:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Stick, string, and shivering temps.

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Wait 'til it's warmer? 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

3 degrees here today. pretty dang cold.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Longtrad wrote:3 degrees here today. pretty dang cold.
Wow Clay, heatwave here compared to that! Maybe that's why your on here instead of hunting. Can't blame you. :idea: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Probably not much I can tell you that you dont already know. I'll go through some of the things I pay attention to.

Use multiple thin layer materials under a non bulky bowhunting Jacket made for extreme warmth. 4 layers of thin warm material like polypropylene, or silk, is better then 1 thick layer of flannel, quilting, cotton thermal underwear, ect..

Stay away from anything cotton, or cotton blend. Its thick, heavy, will not wick moisture away from your body, and it gets wet and cold quick. Use poly or silk unders, and layer out to more extreme poly, wool, or fleece. Many thin layers, trapping air between the layers is the ultimate insulation.

Invest in a Jacket with a wind stopper design for the waist. Tuck in anything possible. A button up zipper cover flap is invaluable to keep cold from seeping in at the zipper.

Use a balaclava, and a stocking hat, or a good fur hat with tying flaps.

Use a hand muff with large hand warmers in it, with a pair of light jersey gloves and keep inside it until shot time comes. Fasten the strap to the waist. Dont hold your bow use a hanger.

A minimum of 1200 gr insulated boot, closer to 2000gr is best. Drop a small hand warmer in the toe end, wool socks, with poly sock liners for base.

Do anything it takes, to avoid sweating at anytime. It takes me 3-4x longer to get to my stands during cold, because I go so slow and stop to rest an annoying amount of times..
but its necessary.

Hunt on the ground when possible.

Use 4 or 5 rubber bands on bow arm to hold clothing away from the string.

.......or invest in a heater body suit! Lol!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jamesh76

#6 Post by Jamesh76 »

I used to know a guy who would shoot with leather work gloves. He would use the lined ones or put a jersey glove inside. He shot with this full leather glove all year. Sure could shoot too.

I got a old camo sleeping bag I sit in at times. It is big. Keeps the wind off, rain off and keeps me warm. It is best to sew some type of strap inside though so it don't completely fall down to your feet when you remove it to draw.

I intentionally buy clothing that is too big for me just for this type of weather.

My top 2 priorities are 1) be windproof 2) stay dry

I have a buddy that wears a windbreaker top and bottom and then layers over that with a old pair of waders that have the boots cut off. He never gets cold, is waterproof and windproof.

I think the feet are the hardest thing for most people to keep warm. I still wear rubber boots most of the time when its below 30. Usually with a sock liner, wool and wool.

Chemical heaters for my pocket and hands.

Blind Hunt with a Buddy Heater is another option if you have the availability. If it gets that cold that often, might be a good investment if you have property you can leave it set up on. Not ideal for public.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

I have been working on improving my cold weather gear. I am hoping to get some wool thermals and socks coming for way for christmas :)

It's weird that is was so cold today, yesterday there was a really nice chinook that made it comfortable to be out in a tshirt lol.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Longtrad wrote: I am hoping to get some wool thermals and socks coming for way for christmas :)

.... yesterday there was a really nice chinook....

I guess you feel you made the "nice" list, and not the "naughty " one? :D

Ok you have to explain this one to a flatlander....chinook to me is a helicopter..... :?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

I hope I made the nice list, still waiting to see :)

IDK what the exact technical definition is but basically a chinook is a really warm wind.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:I hope I made the nice list, still waiting to see :)

IDK what the exact technical definition is but basically a chinook is a really warm wind.
Thought that was a Zephyr?
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”