Looking for opinions on broadhead targets

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Ron Kulas

Looking for opinions on broadhead targets

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

On a few other forums My son has been asking people for their opinions on price point for broadhead targets we are developing. Here is some info on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trtl8rllWGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMFiwGF_FPI

Based on what you see in both videos, what would you consider a fair price point?
The Joy is in the doing.

47909Hunter

Re: Looking for opinions on broadhead targets

#2 Post by 47909Hunter »

Huh - those are pretty cool. I've never bought a broadhead target before, but I'll probably be needing one. I have no idea how much they "should" cost so I can't offer any advice there.

But it's cool you're making them. :)
Traditional #1: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 48@28, Ash and Yew (#12017)
Traditional #2: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 42@28, Bocote and Wenge (#112017)
Compound: 2016 Defiant 30, Black Gold Ascent, 10" Bee Stinger Pro Hunter Maxxxxxxxx, QAD Ultra, Etc

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Hard to price another mans stuff. I watched both videos and it appears that you have a good product, quite large also I might add, something fellers like myself find comforting. Price I would think would depend upon the quality of the foam used. Yours seems to heal well and I like that it didn't pull out chunks of the material with the broadheads, I have had that happen quite often. My suggestion would be that when you market the product that you (or your son) give more detail when describing those different types of materials used. I know this was not your marketing video, just giving my thoughts here in hopes of being a help. If I were in a store looking for a target and saw this one I would expect to see a price tag somewhere in the neighborhood of $79-$99 in my area. Prices vary I'm sure in different states.
Again I am not familiar with the material used, you may be using something that cost you more than what I quoted.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

My advice would be to check several of the big box stores and attempt to keep your price a bit under theirs. There is always room for another good product and yours seems to be.
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#5 Post by Ron Kulas »

The thing is, you wont find targets this large to do a compare. Targets are getting smaller while the prices go up. The reason for that is shipping costs. The niche' here is real estate. Larger targets last longer due to the fact you have way more surface to destroy. We have 3 years of shooting into one of our early prototypes. That target sits outside year round.

We searched for large targets to see what the going rate is. Look at the prices and shipping

https://www.hipstargets.com/collections ... ge-targets

Look at their prices ans hipping for large targets.

http://bbatargets.com/shipping

Their range targets are large rectangles.

https://www.rinehart3d.com/retail-pricing/
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#6 Post by Ron Kulas »

Carpdaddy wrote: If I were in a store looking for a target and saw this one I would expect to see a price tag somewhere in the neighborhood of $79-$99 in my area. Prices vary I'm sure in different states.
Again I am not familiar with the material used, you may be using something that cost you more than what I quoted.
We would take a loss and would not consider bringing to market at that price. Thats why Im asking. If the market places a $99 value on a giant target I doubt you will see anybody going into that business at a loss.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#7 Post by Ron Kulas »

Another thing to consider. We are not looking to sell these retail. There was a suggestion that in store its thought they would be around $99. That means we would have to sell them to the retailer for $60 so they can get their usual 40% mark up.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

I was sure I would be off, especially not having anything to compare to other than the small cheap targets locally. I have never purchased a quality broadhead target, especially one of this size. After seeing some of the prices on The links posted I don't expect I will be either.

Ron Kulas

#9 Post by Ron Kulas »

I know right? crazy high. Shipping is crazy too.
The Joy is in the doing.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

I admit I didnt look at the links you provided for other makers and their prices. However just this last year I had done an extensive search on mid to large size targets.

Im betting you will never find a target the size you are making for less then $200. There are a number of targets around this size out there that are much much higher then that.
I hate putting a price on something when I have no idea of a ball park figure of materials cost, and time and labor. All I can do is take a chance of missing your expectations, and just speak freely.
Honestly, Id expect to pay in the vacinity of $225-$275 for a target that big and that lightweight.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”