Shooting and hair

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Shadowhntr

Shooting and hair

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I myself often keep a pretty big and bushy beard, especially through winter..., but never have had one long enough to gain real length. I know there are lots of archers that shoot all the time with longer beards, or even just long hair. Recently, it made me wonder how folks with longer hair, manage it while shooting bows. Does the string ever catch the beard and yank or whip it on release? Does long hair alway need to be pulled back and out of the way for an archer? Id think wind would present some challenges of that nature.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

47909Hunter

Re: Shooting and hair

#2 Post by 47909Hunter »

Haha, a timely post!

When I was shooting Those Other Kind Of Bows(TM), my nearly-wizardly beard didn't interfere at all. Neither did it with the Samick Sage I learned to shoot traditional on. But - with my new longbow - it does a little bit. It doesn't seem to mess up the shot at all, but it does get hit by the string.
Traditional #1: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 48@28, Ash and Yew (#12017)
Traditional #2: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 42@28, Bocote and Wenge (#112017)
Compound: 2016 Defiant 30, Black Gold Ascent, 10" Bee Stinger Pro Hunter Maxxxxxxxx, QAD Ultra, Etc

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I use to grow a beard every season, it began with my first out of town week long hunt, but then came old age and the Santa Clause White so I quit! I have had a little plucking but I still do without a beard, I sometimes forget and turn my face toward the anchor rather the the correct way. Mine was always short and kept trimmed, I would think that the longer beards might get a little uncomfortable upon string release. If we see another picture of Jon and he has a beard only on one side of his face then we will know! :lol: :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Mine is short trimmed; no issues.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”