Practice Ideas

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Lead Ball

Practice Ideas

#1 Post by Lead Ball »

I need more good Ideas for practice as of now I shoot at a square 2'x2' at 5 paces for form and then out to the woods and shoot at pine cones on the ground I find the smaller the target the better I do I try shooting at a bullseye target I don't shoot well at all any other Idea's would be great thanks

Shadowhntr

Re: Practice Ideas

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im not sure what all youve tried, but we'll just start throwing things at ya...hows thats?

Ever shot at a paper cup pinned to the target with the mouth facing you. Try to get all the arrows inside the cup.

Shoot one arrow at whatever distance. Then move randomly around at various distances, always one shot per station.

Go outside , not warmed up. Take only one arrow. Shoot whatever distance. Good shot or bad, collect your arrow and go back inside until you find yourself not thinking about shooting. When it comes to mind maybe an hour or two later, go out and shoot one arrow...repeat as oft as you can.

Try practicing with only one arrow. The walking is good for you, and it really makes you concentrate each shot to make it count.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Shadowhntr wrote: Try practicing with only one arrow. The walking is good for you, and it really makes you concentrate each shot to make it count.

Saves you from loosing lots of arrows too

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

how long have you been shooting? You might want to try and create a draw sequence to help your form get going. There are lots of good youtube videos on the matter.

Lead Ball

#5 Post by Lead Ball »

I'm 53 and I can't remember a time when I didn't have a bow I shoot pretty good just want to keep progressing looking for new Ideas so far you guys got some great Ideas

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

What is your primary focus or interest in Archery? (Field, Range, Hunting, etc...)
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Stumping works best for me...just wandering around looking for a rotten stump. When I see one, I take the shot if I feel I'm in range. Sometimes even if not just to see what happens.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

Lead Ball wrote:I'm 53 and I can't remember a time when I didn't have a bow I shoot pretty good just want to keep progressing looking for new Ideas so far you guys got some great Ideas

heck I think you should be giving me practice ideas then :lol: :lol:

Lead Ball

#9 Post by Lead Ball »

I also like shooting one arrow at 5 paces then back up to ten then fifteen and so on out to were your range or ability stops you then do it again

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Lead Ball wrote:I also like shooting one arrow at 5 paces then back up to ten then fifteen and so on out to were your range or ability stops you then do it again
It also helps to try different configurations; sitting, heavy clothing, kneeling, shooting from behind obstructions, anything to mimic actual hunting situations.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”