If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Longtrad

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Well some of you may recall my comment in the thread "what did you do today" about trying to "improve" my form.

Long story short I was trying to change my form and tune a bow at the same time, I was shooting a lot and I my accuracy started going down hill, I fell into a rut and things just kept getting worse. I started getting a sore neck and now my shoulder is really sore. I thought at first it was just muscular but after taking some time to rest I feel it in the inside of my shoulder... tendons or what not.. I wish I could better explain but I'm no doctor.

It has been really hard for me to not pick up my bows and fling some arrows even though I know I need to rest my shoulder up. I wish I had never started messing with my draw as I was happy with my shooting before..... and now I am just frustrated.

As soon as I get back to 100% I am going back to my old shooting style and tossing all those ideas of "improvement" out the window.

Shadowhntr

Re: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im thinking more and more, each of us individually should just shoot how it feels most natural and most effective, and say to heck with what anyone else does.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Labrunner

#3 Post by Labrunner »

I agree with shadowhntr. The correct form is what feels natural. Everyone is a little different but the with a good base line from someone else's form and some tweaking, you can find what is best.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

:lol: Seems like I'm in a rut of confusion myself. I was having trouble with my bow getting louder and just can't figure out why. I have made a new string and nearly wore out the brace height and nock point. I know I'm doing something different but just can't figure it out. My last time out to shoot I tried a tab, thick glove, and a Damascus glove. My best shots and quietest comes with bare fingers. Then for some reason I tried shooting split finger, hardly a sound at all! So now I shoot my other bows three under and one split finger, how's that for corn-fused. The strangest part of all is that I shoot equally bad either way! :oops: :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I agree with the above. Shooting a bow (especially trad/instinctive) is DEFINITELY NOT "one size fits all". Our physical attributes are all different. Do what works...FOR YOU...and hang the rest of it.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

Dang reading this again I realize I sound pretty bitter about the deal. And honestly at the time I probably was. I am just upset with myself for not being able to shoot my bows. I tell you guys they are setting here taunting me! Lol

I also don't want to say I have no room for improvement because that is a load of Bologna. I'm still going to keep practicing and will probably change some more things up as time passes. Heck I am sure if I had a coach there watching me rather than trying to figure it out on my own I wouldn't be in the mess.

Hehe I mix things up a bit too CD I have changed from split to 3 under and back a few times myself I've also became pretty complacent about not wearing a shooting glove.

Return to “Practice/Training”