Any sight shooters here?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Any sight shooters here?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

One of the major reasons I couldn't wait to get away from wheel bows and the many pounds of additional junk that goes with them was the idea that I was reliant on that extra junk to have a functional shooting bow. I hated relying on my sight and sight pins with a passion...the idea of a clear, unobstructed view and a release based on mental math rather than 'holding the red pin on the spot' was intriguing to say the least!
That notwithstanding, sight pins have been used for decades by hunters and match shooters with great success. Has or does anyone use pins or sights with any success, and your thoughts and feelings about them?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Any sight shooters here?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

If a feller wants or likes them then they ought to use them. I don't personally but it won't bother me if you do. Unless you mount them in my bow. :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I use and love sights of course on firearms, and crossbows. You would think my handguns would get shot instinctive (point and shoot) seeing I am an instinctive bow shooter, but I still need sights on them! I certainly HAVE used sights on wheel bows, but I went through a period where I shot a wheel bow without sight, by both gap and eventually instinctive methods. It was surprisingly accurate. I started both my boys on tiny built wheel bows shot instinctively. One in particular, is a Browning Micro Adrenaline, which is Wyatts. Its too short for him now, but it was amazing how good that (then) little guy could shoot that bow....talk about fast! So, it wasnt a huge transition for the boys, or I. I was accurate with sight, but I didnt like the idea of not seeing where my arrow hit while concentrating on the pin in hunting situations.
I think they are just another tool, that can be used if a person feels they need them, on any weapon. But, we shouldnt always associate a sight pin with a wheel bow, because many people use wheel bows without one. It can be an important transition for those who might be reluctant to go full blown sightless/wheel-less trad....
Sights on verticle bows certainly have a place, but they just dont appeal to me for my needs.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

Beats me never tried. Only shot a wheel bow about 6 times so don't know what to say about that aspect of it either. I'd give them a shot but there are other things I'd rather buy first

my cousin is a wheel bow guy and he shoots dang good groups even out to 75 yards but he needs a range finder when we go hunting... So like Kirk said, just extra stuff to bring along

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

I agree, whatever someone decides to use is fine with me. I will not judge what anyone uses. For me, the compounds and sights are what guided me back to traditional. I found the accuracy made me a lazy hunter and took the hard work out of the " good shot". Again this is strictly for me... I discovered by going to traditional, the path is more personal. I have to shoot regularly or my groups suffer. I found that now I am careful when setting up my hunting stand/blind, and am cautious of wind direction. To my surprise I harvest more animals and have a deeper connection to the animals I take. May sound weird but that is what Traditional does for me.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Doesn't sound weird at all. I totally get it.
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing sights; I used them for years and they work. And if they work for YOU, great! I was simply stating that I feel 'free' without them personally as I feel they create limitations that cramp my style, even if I do shoot better with them. However, I was hoping to hear from someone who does use them with trad gear to hear their point of view.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Well, I guess I could tape on one to my maddog, shoot it a bit, then quote what I said above again....lol!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Kirk, just had to pick on you... :P

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

I use sights, but it's the ones God gave me. Sometimes I bump myself under the chin, or on one jaw, I tell those I'm shooting with that I'm adjusting my sights. :geek:

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mohawk

#10 Post by Mohawk »

:shock: :lol: hilarious!!

Return to “Practice/Training”