Need advice on focus...

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Jose

Need advice on focus...

#1 Post by Jose »

Wondering if I could pick your brains? I know there are a lot of good shooters on this forum and thought maybe I could get some pointers? When it comes to target practicing I have problems focusing on the spot. My mind tends to wander and get distracted during my shots. It seems like I can focus only for a short time before my mind begins to lose focus of the spot. When I target I just shoot "okay". When I hunt my focus is much more intense. I feel I tend to shoot better at game than targets. Anyone have any diagnosis or suggestions? Thanks

Jose

Re: Need advice on focus...

#2 Post by Jose »

Oops...sorry administrators. I may have posted this on the wrong thread? If so feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

No biggie bro, we gottcha covered! ;)
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im certainly not a good shooter, but I've had lots of time to develop bad habits, and thus have had to work on them a lot. For lack of focus, the best Ive found is one of 2 ways. Both involve the use of practicing with only 1 arrow.

In the first, you simply use one arrow, which forces you to walk back and forth a lot. After a bit, you get to where you realize you wont be just reaching for a other arrow and begin to make it count each shot.

The second is less pronounced practice. It involes taking bow and single arrow out to target...shoot, retrieve the arrow and go back inside or do something else for 10-30 minutes..then back out and shoot one arrow. Do this randomly, but as oft as it strikes you.

One other tip, is to make certain your eyes never leave the spot you are aiming at until several seconds AFTER the arrow strikes.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I hardly qualify as a "good shooter"... :lol:

But, I agree with Jason on a number of points:
1) One arrow at a time/retrieve forces you to concentrate on that one shot (also damn good exercise)
2) Don't 'force' practice. Shoot one at a time until you feel your concentration ebbing...then set it down and walk away. You don't want to retain the muscle memory of the shots that DON'T hit where you're aiming! When I was at my best I was shooting 5 nights a weeks, usually less than a dozen arrows at a time.
3) Since I began shooting instinctive (not gapping) I learned to ignore the bow, ignore the arrow, "burn a hole in the target" and keep burning until the arrow strikes.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

Put a pile of brick 6" under the spot you want to hit...... :twisted: :lol:

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

Longtrad wrote:Put a pile of brick 6" under the spot you want to hit...... :twisted: :lol:
:shock: ..... :lol:

Jose

#8 Post by Jose »

Thanks for the pointers! I am going to try some of this to see if it can help me. (Well, not the brick thing). :lol:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

If you figure this one out..... Help ME! :lol: :idea:
Lately I catch myself releasing and wondering why! I know when I turn loose I was not on spot but for some strange reason I release anyway. Keeping my mental focus and following through after the release seems to elude me lately. On my last attempt I began doing the one arrow thing someone mentioned, that seems to help some. I'm on a little slump right now but hopefully will get back on target before season.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Tony, the remedy that helped me the most with premature string release, is drawing the arrow, hold for a couple seconds and let back down without shooting. Out of 5 draw cycles, only release the arrow once or even none. You need to reestablish a different trigger mechanism in the mind. Drawing, holding for 2 seconds, then letting back down will help reset it. However it takes a lot of this to permanently establish new triggers. Less shooting, more letting down....it works!

Return to “Practice/Training”