How I got a quieter and smoother release

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

How I got a quieter and smoother release

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

But after several shots it begins to get sore! :lol: :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_4323.jpg
IMG_4323.jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Shadowhntr

Re: How I got a quieter and smoother release

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yep! I do the same! I like shooting my last 24 shots (virtually) every session with bare fingers. Of course I'm only shooting lower poundage bows. I hunt bare finger, so that's why I practice it along with toughening them up.

Here is something else to ponder. I first bought an American Leathers Kangaroo leathered Krossover glove. I liked It a lot. After several months, I noticed my arrow flight started going down hill...but not so with bare fingers. So I figured some of it had to be that glove. I did some more research and decided I should have gotten his Buffalo Big Shot so I skeptically ordered one. To this day I love the thing. I figured I'd worked on my form enough I could probably get the Krossover to work too. Believe it or not, arrows were consistently flying wonky again. I had brought the big shot too so put it on and shot....straight as a string. I can't figure as to why, because the Krossover isnt grooved much at all and certainly no more then the Big shot. Gloves CAN make a difference.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

Interesting info guys.i have been working on a smoother release lately and never thought about trying a light bow with bare fingers. I'll try it tomorrow and maybe incorporate it into my practice sessions.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I usually begin bare fingers and put the glove on as my fingers begin to burn. I am also working to lighten up on the bottom finger first and release with the finger just below the arrow last.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Careful, gents.
Bare fingers can result in numb fingers, and numb fingers can signal impending PERMANENT nerve damage, or so I was told.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

I shot bare fingers for quite a while, mostly because I kept misplacing my glove, and also because I liked the freedom of it. After a bit I could shoot long sessions with no pain, I always felt I shot a tad bit better with the glove though (not much), plus I started to get a callous on my right ring finger that I didnt care for, never got numb fingers, but the bows I shoot the most are only 46 and 48#

I thought about trying a thicker serving but didnt feel like having to widen my nocks

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yep, callous form after a little while. For some reason my ring finger on my right hand is always the worst.

I think nerve damage could be possible, but not likely. Pain keeps that from happening to much. If a person forces through much pain then I can see nerves possibly getting irritated or inflamed. Permenant numbing from damaged nerves generally takes severing them. Even then depending on the nerve and where its been cut, some nerves reestablished a connection. That's why many surgery scar areas get feeling back again. I don't ever foresee nerves being severed by a bow string but they could certainly get irritated. A little at a time is the key until your fingers toughen up with a little callousness.
I tend not to shoot a bunch bare fingered because I am so used to having a glove or tab, I tend to shoot a couple inches to the side of my mark bare fingered. At 10-15 yards hunting and arrow placement on the deer...an inch or two doesn't make a huge difference normally.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”