Practice shot numbers

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Shadowhntr

Practice shot numbers

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know we have been through this before...but considering some recent sessions I wanted to revisit it.
I know some here use a low number of shots for practice and I think that is a grand approach for various reasons. I've always shot a higher number of rounds, largely because I'm pig headed and I enjoy long sessions of shooting for pleasure.
I've not actually counted my shots, and when asked I'd of said I normally throw in the vicinity of 100 arrows per session. However over the last 3 days, I've been keeping track and I was shocked. For 2 days straight I shot well over 200 arrows per session , and todays session was approaching 400 arrows. I shoot a good number of arrows each round this time of year, so it really don't take that long to pop off 200-400 arrows. Much more then I'd ever thought. I'd say the 200+ arrows is a pretty average session for me now that I've actually counted each shot.
A different note.
I know I know.....the number of shots do not matter, but its the quality of the practice that counts. However, high numbers, shot with quality practice makes a big difference in consistency if concentration can be held on to. One reason I like my loner sessions at times....better concentration for longer periods.
Let me say, it's made a huge difference in my shoulders, to swing draw instead of using a static type, held out front from the get go. I can really feel the burn between my shoulder blade and spine! Putting more head knowledge into a working practical motion, is starting to give me results I'm getting very happy about! My release has been cleaning up even more, arrow flight is more straight, quieter, and faster...a no brainer. Work, yes it is...but a no brainer.
I shot anywhere between 10-25 yards, and moving around a lot..taking leaning shots, sitting shots, as well as crouching.
Let's hear some thoughts, and have you actually counted the shot numbers of your average session?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Practice shot numbers

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I shoot anout 200 also, but in about two weeks time!! I enjoy shooting as well but my arms and shoulders cannot handle shooting long at a time. Average 20-25 per session now with season approaching, any more and I am hurting. But I will rest and go back hours later and shoot another few rounds.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Tony, can you describe where it hurts the most? Is it the shoulder? Do you swing draw?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

My pain goes back to renal failure and calcium gone crazy. Had a gland removed in my neck that was going crazy that helps control or produce calcium. So it's not likely related to how I draw although that may contribute to it. My legs do the same thing if I stand long, not many years ago I had to drive one of those handicap carts around in stores. I couldn't stand long enough to teach Sunday School and preach in the same morning. Thankfully I am doing better but I will not chance having a shoulder or elbow go out again. First my right elbow and forarm failed, I still struggle with it. Then my left shoulder. I have had many test and shots but still struggle. One Dr wants me to stop shooting a bow and use a crossbow! I told him that was blasphemy and never to use that type of language around me again! He put me through a therapy program that helped quite a bit but I have to continue doing it in order to keep shooting without pain. So I continue therapy and shooting small amounts daily, thankfully it seems to be working but I don't risk pushing myself.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

My sessions were running easily 100-200 per, until the, umm...'incident'...and now is more dependent on neighborly activity than anything. Tuesday night I got off an easy 50-60 arrows until I blew the nock off one and pulled the FP off another...time to quit, says I.
I will go into more detail later about my 'new, improved range facilities'... :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

You have my curiosity up now Shadow, what is "Swing Draw"?

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im very sorry for making you go into all that Tony. It never occurred to me that your hindrance may have been one unrelated to shooting at all. My bad.

Swing draw....You've likely seen it hundreds of times and may call it by a different name. It's when bow is held at roughly hip level, then the string is gripped. As the bow is being raised (at ones own speed) the string is being drawn...so that with timing, when the bow arm ends pointing at the target, at the same moment anchor is reached. What you do for release timing from there is preference, but its a technique many aerial or moving target shooters use, (as well as stationary targets) because it can be a very quick trigger when anchor is reached. Some may think this snap shooting...but true snap shooting often can involve failure to reach anchor. This swing draw can still be held at anchor and full draw, but I do tend to fire a little quicker then I do with a stationary or static bow arm stance. The biggest help is the shoulders can take much more shooting for my case. It still requires the same good form as any other method might for those that seek and practice good form. Start the sequence slowly....then over time speed of sequence increases if you so desire. Remember not to use a ridged compound style string hold. Instead keep an even steady push on bow arm and pull on the string. The moment the string hand goes stale and just trys to maintain the weight at anchor, our shot collapses, esp if the bow hand is not equally being pushed. The same kind of feeling you get when pulling the string, is very close to the same kind of feeling one gets with correctly using push pull method at anchor. Otherwise we see our collapse begin by our arrow creeping forward as we try to hold. Missing is Then eminent as well as very likely poor release and flight.

FYI...one big trick to start, is to raise the bow from the hip in an imaginary straight line, up to the target (start the draw as soon as bow lift begins. Try to match ending destinations with both hands, reaching desired points simintaneously). Again start out slowly and get a feel for the timing. After a short while, it comes pretty natural. You will also find in the end, it will hone the instinctive shot a bit more.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:My sessions were running easily 100-200 per, until the, umm...'incident'...and now is more dependent on neighborly activity than anything. Tuesday night I got off an easy 50-60 arrows until I blew the nock off one and pulled the FP off another...time to quit, says I.
I will go into more detail later about my 'new, improved range facilities'... :lol:
This is where we throw our heads back and laugh...ready? GO!
HA HA HA HA! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Youre a Nock destroyer! How's it feel? :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Actually, it felt pretty good.... 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:Actually, it felt pretty good.... 8-)
No conscience for murdering nocks eh?
:lol: ;)

Return to “Practice/Training”