3D target, from the air and ground

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Shadowhntr

3D target, from the air and ground

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

Its time....time for me to dust off my Rineheart 3d, bust out the broadheads, and start shooting from a tree or elevated spot somewhere. I normally don't spend immense amount of time practicing in the air, but I do some. Mainly to remind myself of what it feels like. I never did feel the change made much difference in my point of aim....provided I shoot the same way as I do on the ground.
Anyone else getting in the air yet, or is it necessary in your view?
To the ground hunters, are you shooting broadheads yet? What do you guys shoot them into?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jamesh76

Re: 3D target, from the air and ground

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

I do this, with a block target and usually field points. My son and I take turns retrieving arrows and placing them into a back quiver to tote up the pull rope. The person on the ground moves the target to a different spot after each series. I typically do it from my actual stands though and prefer july or august if I can find a day that's not so hot.
This lets me get used to the stand, shooting lanes and trim anything that may be in the way before season.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep; last year I had a stand set where I shoot, but that stand is sitting in a tree in the mountains now! My partner has one set in his yard, we are going to try this week!

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

I dont use tree stands myself but I do have an elevated deck I like to shoot off. Its about 12 feet up and I have been known to loose arrows into the back yard while grilling dinner.

I typically just shoot broadheads into a sand pile but I have been wanting to get an 18/1 rinehart broadhead target more and more lately. If I see the blems on sale for 70 bucks again I will probably get one of those.

Mohawk

#5 Post by Mohawk »

I actually was just thinkin about this today and looking at the back yard. Dang thing is, where the target has to sit is on a gradual uphill slope and there's really no way to get high enough to make it matter.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

Mohawk wrote:I actually was just thinkin about this today and looking at the back yard. Dang thing is, where the target has to sit is on a gradual uphill slope and there's really no way to get high enough to make it matter.
Well, that means you are stuck with me then! Lol!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Mohawk

#7 Post by Mohawk »

Shadowhntr wrote:
Mohawk wrote:I actually was just thinkin about this today and looking at the back yard. Dang thing is, where the target has to sit is on a gradual uphill slope and there's really no way to get high enough to make it matter.
Well, that means you are stuck with me then! Lol!
:lol: Well that's ok! I'm really not sure if there's much difference in ground and elevated shooting anyway, if you shoot like I do, it's hard to tell. :shock: :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Pretty much done with stand hunting as long as I'm stuck on PHL...
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#9 Post by Crazynate »

I stand hunt a lot but also ground hunt a ton too. I always practice from above score my season. When I'm on flat found I don't can't as much but in the free stand I feel like it helps me keep from missing high. I can't explain it but it's rru I've missed more deer high than by any other way. Soon as I started chanting my bow sideways a lit more I started killing more deer. I know it probably sounds weird but it works for me. But when on flat ground I only can't a little. So shooting at 3d targets is important in my opinion. Especially from above
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “Practice/Training”