Shooting tips

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Shooting tips

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

All of us have heard or read some shooting advice that proved to be beneficial to us. Everyone has heard to "Pick a spot" or "Aim small, miss small". I try to remember that when a deer is approaching, I keep telling myself that I'm actually hunting Ticks! I try to "Pick a Tick" and shoot it rather than shooting at the deer.
So my question is: what is the best shooting tip you can give or have received? :ugeek:

Graps

Re: Shooting tips

#2 Post by Graps »

Complete the shot , including the arrow hitting the spot in your mind before you raise the bow and shoot .
Do all the thinking before the shot , not during .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Best tips I got was when I had an expirences archer watch me and correct all the little things I was doing out of whack to get me into good biomechanics. Made a huge difference for me in increasing the power of my shot and my draw length

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

Get a shot sequence and concentrate on each aspect until you have it down or then drop it from your sequence. Don't trick yourself into thinking it's good enough and letting an arrow fly if you haven't come to full back tension.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

The best tip I ever got was "Slow Down!" You get all jacked up deciding if you should take the shot, then your heart rate goes through the roof as the adrenaline starts pumping and you duff a shot you could make in your back yard with your eyes closed. Slow down, breathe, pick a spot and execute.
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

I use a focal point. For me it is a small orange sticker about the size of a nickel. I put it in almost every target I shoot. It trains my subconscious to always see that spot. When deer walk out I imagine that orange sticker right behind the shoulder. I carry a quarter in my pocket with that sticker on it and I pull it out all the time just looking at it.IT WORKS. Got this tip from Jay Kidwells book archery insights. It puts in perspective the term picking a spot. At least for me
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

While having plucking issues a while back Shadowhntr helped by reminding me to draw, aim, hold, and let down! Shoot about every third to fifth draw. This got me out of the habit I had picked up of jerking and plucking at release. Before my first shot when I go out I still do that.

J. Holden

#8 Post by J. Holden »

I have had the good fortune of having a competitive archer watch me this past summer. He's also an accomplished hunter. He encouraged me to pull through my shot and to hold at anchor just few seconds longer than I was. I wasn't really holding all that long to begin with. I'd reach anchor and let 'er fly.

I think by holding I was pulling through the shot. Where as before I think I was creeping forward from my anchor as I was releasing. It's amazing the difference when you do it all right. The arrow actually goes where you were looking!

-Jeremy

Return to “Practice/Training”