Fun with broadheads

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Ron Kulas

Re: Fun with broadheads

#11 Post by Ron Kulas »

Captainkirk wrote:Holy smokes!
Guess I'm gonna have to try out some Woodsman's! Wonder how my Zwickeys would stack up?
All this talk about "razor-sharp broadheads"...it would appear on the surface that a mildly sharp Woodsman would out-perform a surgically-sharp China
Mildly sharp woodsman? :o

I honed them to a razors edge. Out of the package they are pretty dull.

Here is a video of how I sharpen them.
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Stay Sharp wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:Holy smokes!
Guess I'm gonna have to try out some Woodsman's! Wonder how my Zwickeys would stack up?
All this talk about "razor-sharp broadheads"...it would appear on the surface that a mildly sharp Woodsman would out-perform a surgically-sharp China
Mildly sharp woodsman? :o

I honed them to a razors edge. Out of the package they are pretty dull.

Here is a video of how I sharpen them.

https://youtu.be/pI-wCgP_Z0U
I'm sure yours were razor sharp, Ron. 8-)
I was just commenting that all the focus these days is on "how sharp your broadheads are", rather than the actual design and function...so that the shame is on you if you don't get adequate penetration because, well..."you didn't get them sharp enough". Not that the design is inferior...which your vid clearly shows IS the case with some of them, esp. the expandable. My guess would be if you pulled a mildly sharp Woodsman out of the package without touching it, it would STILL out-perform the others due to the design rather than how sharp the edges are.
Aim small, miss small!

gettin closer

#13 Post by gettin closer »

There were a couple of times I thought he was going to eat it. But once it got to the cut on contact head, I knew that was going to be a win.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

gettin closer wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm There were a couple of times I thought he was going to eat it. But once it got to the cut on contact head, I knew that was going to be a win.
A no brainer, right? :lol: I'm proud to say I've never bought into the hype of the "newest" broadhead styles....even 30 years ago I knew better! Back then the newest "rage" , pun intended, was them big beefy chisel points with tiny short and hard inclined blades....HAD to have em ta break through ribs (what????)... All the folks around me pushed them....Id just smile all the way to the meat hanging tree and I'd be touching up the razor head I'd used while the meat was cooling. It weren't long before folks started complaining about them new fangled heads performance though. Sad, the industry has had archers chasing their tails over it ever since. Notice few to none of them new fangled modern day head makers will make a true cut on contact solid point?....oh wait....thats because they're already in existance and have been for years and years. Something that old and simple CANT be more effective then the new whoop-a-dangy-robotic-self opening-self sharpening-skins ur deer for you on impact-blood gusher broadhead.....can it? :shock: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 am
gettin closer wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm There were a couple of times I thought he was going to eat it. But once it got to the cut on contact head, I knew that was going to be a win.
A no brainer, right? :lol: I'm proud to say I've never bought into the hype of the "newest" broadhead styles....even 30 years ago I knew better! Back then the newest "rage" , pun intended, was them big beefy chisel points with tiny short and hard inclined blades....HAD to have em ta break through ribs (what????)... All the folks around me pushed them....Id just smile all the way to the meat hanging tree and I'd be touching up the razor head I'd used while the meat was cooling. It weren't long before folks started complaining about them new fangled heads performance though. Sad, the industry has had archers chasing their tails over it ever since. Notice few to none of them new fangled modern day head makers will make a true cut on contact solid point?....oh wait....thats because they're already in existance and have been for years and years. Something that old and simple CANT be more effective then the new whoop-a-dangy-robotic-self opening-self sharpening-skins ur deer for you on impact-blood gusher broadhead.....can it? :shock: :lol:
Sad thing is, it's not limited to broadheads, Jase... :(
It's the whole archery hunting game. My guess would be, if I were a betting man (and I am) that Fred Bear could out-tag the majority of today's Hunting Show Heroes armed with the latest & greatest with his good ol' Kodiak Special and a couple cedar arrows with Razor heads on them.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

Thats a fact Captain....

I know, like you said...its all through hunting....and also fishing. Since my childhood days Ive used a handful of lures and equipment to cover the needs to keep us in all the fish fillets we can eat. Im pretty sure Ive got the smallest tackle box on the water at any given moment or close. Simple, old, and cheap ideas that have been around for years and years. Worked then, work now. They say 10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish taken. Well, I submit that the other 90% of fishermen who do little catching from lack of understanding also get hooked by the industry.... right in the seat of their pants and right around the wallet area.

It's sad...I mean I guess it's the American right to make money which I'm all for. But all facets of the outdoor sporting realm feed off those who struggle with success. By struggle with sucess, I mean those who lack knowledge or understanding (maturity) and those who crave prideful fame and aren't getting it. (I don't imply that not scoring any target creature, puts one automatically into these categories, not true). But the industry preys upon them and their NEED to score. They feed them bait in the form of sports shows, "proving" they NEED their product to increase the chances of a score, when actually all they really need is education and attitude change.

If they'd really think about it...as you suggested captain, the old timers didn't even have much of what's offered now, yet they scored and scored often....like Fred Bear did. No, what's missing today isn't more and more modern products being offered, what's missing is commitment to the art of outdoorsmanship, and a huge dose of reality.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

You said a mouthful of what I was thinkin', Jase.
This is so true all across the industry. From the way the TV shows are jumping up & down about the 6.5 Creedmoor, you'd think nobody ever took a deer with a .30-30 before. Same goes for compound bows. Nothing against them, but they just don't suit my hunting style any more. Maybe part of it is that I no longer care if I tag out...I'm there for the love of the sport (trad hunting) and the outdoor experience. A filled tag is just syrup on my pancakes.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”