Getting back in the swing of it

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Getting back in the swing of it

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Tonight turned out well (compared to yesterday). Just before sunset, I dragged out the block and set up on the 'new range' and decided to fling a few before the sun set, or the skeeters found me, whichever comes first. As luck would have it, the pesky little buzz-bombs came out just as I decided I could no longer see well enough to shoot, so I called it a draw. In the mean time I managed to sink better than 80 arrows, and feel my muscle tone, form and instinctive aim all beginning to return to former levels.
One of my better groups tonight...

Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: Getting back in the swing of it

#2 Post by Graps »

Way to get 'er done.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Decided to change it up a little tonight. Instead of shooting the same ol' Griz, I dragged out the K-Mag and decided to see if the heavy-spine arrows Jase gave me would work with that bow, too...
Bingo.
First group I was clipping feathers with many of the shafts touching (no pix tonight). I still had the temporary tape on the serving from playing with the nock point at the range after I got it. No need to adjust that with that kinda shooting, so I crimped on a nock set and went to town. My groups opened up a little after 4 dozen and fatigue began to set in, but hey; fine by me! This thing shoots great and feels more instinctive than the Griz, if you can believe that! (I know you can, Graps!)
Gonna be shooting this one a lot more now.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Gotta love those k-mags .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

Sweet, glad to hear you are nocking the rust off that old bow, they get jealous if you just keep them hid under the bed and dont let them come out to play you know!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:14 pm Sweet, glad to hear you are nocking the rust off that old bow, they get jealous if you just keep them hid under the bed and dont let them come out to play you know!
Yes, I've heard that.
I suppose I should drag out the K-Hunter and shoot it before it starts growling as well. I shot so lousy with it at the range that I pushed it under the couch and haven't shot it since. I think what it needs is just a bit of tinkering. And I know just the guy to do it.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Don’t neglect those old bows Kirk, they need attention too!

Greg Felty

#8 Post by Greg Felty »

Glad to see you are back at it Kirk.You got to love those old bows.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice shooting Kirk. You guys are gonna talk me into one of them lil short fellas yet....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Finished up a new batch of woodies and flung one out of the widow maker yesterday. Today I got out the lefty. Good groups out to 15 yards with lefty and 25 with the widow maker. Arrows came out perfect. Then I came in and made the string for the bow Jose is building. 63” inch string 12 strands padded to 16 mono black and of course back laid. Looks outstanding. Will be building a few more of these mono blackout strings. Yesterday started refinishing the mad dog pp with tung oil. Tomorrow is more work on self bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Practice/Training”