What's do you do to keep in shape?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: What's do you do to keep in shape?

#11 Post by Carpdaddy »

I lifted my arm to change channels with the remote this morning! I’m in no shape to get in shape! :oops:
Seriously though, I have had major health issues which limit my ability to walk far or stand long. All I manage to do is a little therapy for my shoulder so I can continue shooting my 40lb bow. And I preach hard and loud sometimes. 😂

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

My Pastor keeps telling me about how many miles he walks every day. Both of us are 70. Now that the hot days are gone I started walking around the village again yesterday. I was enjoying the trees and the scenery until i stepped in a hole about the size of a gallon milk jug and fell on my rt elbow and shoulder. Ouch. Even one rib was not feeling all that good. So I did the normal routine of Naproxen, heat and cold applications as it started to stiffen up and swell up. I figured all would be well in a few days until I noticed that if I tried to lift my arm up much past my waste, the pain got pretty intense. Soo, I figured at my age, maybe I could have broke something and went to get it looked at.

Turned out as I origianlly thought. The calcium deposits from prior who knows whats must have dug into or bruised the rotator cup or something, causing all that pain. Was told to keep up the pain pills along with heat or cold and keep it in a sling for no more than a week and then work on getting full motion again. If not, try an injection. Glad I didn't break anything trying to get in shape. I knew I was in no shape to get in shape.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

:shock: Ouch! That sounds bad Grizz, hope you recover soon!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Ouch! Prayers up for swift healing, Grizz! You're not supposed to step IN the potholes, but step AROUND them, ya know. Just sayin'... 8-)
JK...hope you heal quickly!
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#15 Post by Elkman »

Sorry to hear about your spill Craig.
Get well soon!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#16 Post by Grizzly »

Thanks for the well-wishes. Already, after only one day, I can feel a difference. The sharp, shooting pains are now much duller and movement isn't quite so limited. Now to follow Doctor's orders and not try to work it too soon. I seem to have a house full of folks who keep reminding me to wear the sling. I can only imagine what a dog feels like with one of those crazy funnels around his head. :cry:

Capt, I used to pride myself in getting to my stands in the dark without ever tripping or falling. Only one time, do I remember discovering a ditch in the pitch black that I didn't know was there. I'm sure there were other falls I don't remember, cause I do remember always trying to protect either the rifle or bow when I did fall. I guess that strolling around the neighborhood doesn't bring out that same awareness of being quiet, stealthy and paying attention to where your feet are going.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Hydropottimus

#17 Post by Hydropottimus »

I hit the gym 4 days a week to lift with my girlfriend at 4:45 in the morning. I go again myself two days a week to double up on legs, chest, and back. Then I do resistance bands at least twice a week with my kids to help develop their back and shoulder muscles. Also if I ever wear my fitbit I average about 8 miles a day 6 days a week at work. It seems like a lot on paper but staying busy and physically fit helps with my recovery as I'm just over 2 years sober and my only hobbies are fitness, archery, and woodworking. And the only one I'm not a total beginner at is fitness.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Congrats on two years...that's an amazingly good thing and thanks for sharing with us! I give you props on your diligence at the gym as well. I really need to get back to a regulated schedule but my weird work schedule wreaks havoc on any kind of normalcy for the most part.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#19 Post by Elkman »

Michael, that's awesome!
I am also a woodworker. I have been doing cabinets for 20 some years now.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Elkman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 pm Michael, that's awesome!
I am also a woodworker. I have been doing cabinets for 20 some years now.
:? ....so he leaves out the part where he builds killer bows
:shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”