Music

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Music

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

I still have the Gunfighter Ballads album pictured in the last vid on vinyl. It was Dad's. :D
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Curious as to whether many of our members here play an instrument(s) or sing? Talk about it!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

So after 44 years, I finally had enough. Enough piddling around with a guitar that wouldn't stay in tune since the day I bought it. I would get this thing tuned perfectly, play a song or two with a few bends in it and find it out of tune again. In fact, in the years I've owned it I probably spend more time tuning it than playing it. :shock:

Enough's enough.

I broke down and bought a set of gold Grovers to match the original junk that was on there (and I mean junk)

Here's a shot of the original junk...err, tuners

I pulled the neck and using this fancy peghead reamer, bored the backside holes out to 10mm to fit the Grovers

https://screenshots.firefox.com/AuF3Rbx ... tewmac.com

Then I installed the new Grovers and pilot drilled the peghead for the new anchor screws.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/MNb7m7a ... tewmac.com

The new tuners installed;

Yeah, so there are a few extra holes... :roll:

Stays in tune much better now.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#14 Post by Greg Felty »

This is one of my favorites by Zack Williams. We have a guy at church who sounds just like him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYjKR69M6U
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

That was excellent, Greg!
Gonna have to link that to the CFF (at the bottom of the index page!)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, for me, this is a year of trying new stuff. Or better put, going where I was too lazy to go.
As seen with the tuners above, I'm on a roll.
So, I was listening to some good music the other night, among those songs an old favorite of mine; "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkle. I've always been in awe of the incredible intro and outro runs as well as the Travis-style fingerpicking that runs through the entire piece (not to mention the piccolo trumpet solo, the bass harmonica, Hal Blaine's shocking, yet scary drum beats that sound like gunshots, the sparse but tasteful dobro notes, and a scary-as-hell tuba that brings back nightmares of "Close Encounters...)

For your listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LFML_pxlY

Now, I'm a not half-bad flatpicker, but my fingerpicking has always been one of my weaker suits...which makes me respect the incredible work of Paul Simon and Fred Carter Jr. here even more. So while I'm listening to this, one of the sidebar suggestions pops up...how to play "the Boxer". So, I watched it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32BwIjWS8fo&t=35s

"Self", says I, "you can do this".
That's what I said about the Grovers, too.
So, I pulled up the old Epi (below; had this'n since 1973)...

...and sat down to see if you can, indeed, teach an old dog new tricks.

Within a half hour or so I had that opening intro down. Fellers, I'm just blown away.
Now, it may take a bit to get the whole thing memorized. Now, I can flatpick like a hurricane but these alternating basslines and fingerpicking notes (outside/inside says the guy in the vid) are gonna take some muscle memory and a whole lotta repetition....like archery. But you can bet I'll be trying.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

Dad always played Travis style as far back as I can remember. He got so good at it that it would come out in it in anything he started playing....even hymns. He especially used it a ton in blue's....but as I said, he could play happy birthday song and would flow out in that style.

I heard it so much growing up, that by age 16, I could do a pretty proficient job of using it on "Walk, Don't Run". But since I'm not really much on playing guitar it never progressed and all my time went to the mandolin.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Playing mandolin has always intrigued me. I may add that to my list.
My son got it into his head a couple weeks ago to become Bernie Leadon (Eagles) and went out and bought him a banjo. He is a very good guitar player (both classical and rock) but had never played a banjo in his life. Tonight we were at his house and he blew me away by playing "Early Bird" by the Eagles...he has the banjo rolls down pat in under a week. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLItXksv4WU
Aim small, miss small!

Arcuites

#19 Post by Arcuites »

Great thread! Again, it always astounds me how meeting new folks with common interest, only deepens the bond in other fields. Kirk, you have some humdingers in that collection! WOW !! Steely is one of my favs...so smooth, and in the groove as they say ! So many others mention artists that I like as well. My wheelhouse is trad country (WSM Nashville),classical, bluegrass, and blues. Most stuff before 1980, with some stragglers since... So Sorry I never learned to play an instrument, especially for someone who has worked in the music industry (Label, Management, Distribution, Marketing) for over 20 years. You guys are blessed! I have one of my daughters who is becoming quite the classical pianist, and for the I'm most proud. Playing is a gift that stays with you the rest of your life ! After years in the corporate ringer and working with many many great artists (Capitol Records, Mercury Nashville, Universal, PolyGram, EMI) I've finally settled into an independent gig with 3 other guys. I now work from home, leaving the traveling pretty much behind (Thank God!). Got us a pretty good roster of some Rock and Pop, and a ton of Christian Artists now. More my pace at 52 ! I love music, and artists, which is why I do what I do, so CHEERS to all you players out there! That's where the rubber meets the road, and preserves the purity of music outside of the business aspect.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Arcuites wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 pm Great thread! Again, it always astounds me how meeting new folks with common interest, only deepens the bond in other fields. Kirk, you have some humdingers in that collection! WOW !! Steely is one of my favs...so smooth, and in the groove as they say ! So many others mention artists that I like as well. My wheelhouse is trad country (WSM Nashville),classical, bluegrass, and blues. Most stuff before 1980, with some stragglers since... So Sorry I never learned to play an instrument, especially for someone who has worked in the music industry (Label, Management, Distribution, Marketing) for over 20 years. You guys are blessed! I have one of my daughters who is becoming quite the classical pianist, and for the I'm most proud. Playing is a gift that stays with you the rest of your life ! After years in the corporate ringer and working with many many great artists (Capitol Records, Mercury Nashville, Universal, PolyGram, EMI) I've finally settled into an independent gig with 3 other guys. I now work from home, leaving the traveling pretty much behind (Thank God!). Got us a pretty good roster of some Rock and Pop, and a ton of Christian Artists now. More my pace at 52 ! I love music, and artists, which is why I do what I do, so CHEERS to all you players out there! That's where the rubber meets the road, and preserves the purity of music outside of the business aspect.

Oh, good! Another audiophile to share with!
Not only do I love playing guitar, I truly love music. All kinds (well, maybe not Rap or Death Metal...) I really love blues, acoustic (folk) music, well, just about anything, including classical. I can sit down with a cold one after a hard week and go from feeling down, worn out and discouraged to totally losing myself in a good tune (like The Boxer) and by the end of the night I'm feeling fine.
Hoping I can share some of my favorites, insights, and musical commentaries with you!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”