Hawaii Bowhunt blog

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Ron Kulas

Re: Hawaii Bowhunt blog

#16 Post by Ron Kulas »

I printed the new mount for the Ultimate Predator Adventure cam hoping it would reduce the vibration at arrow launch. It seems to be a success and an improvement over the first attempt. Its not perfect but the shock created at the launch of an arrow is unavoidable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzruSev ... e=youtu.be
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

That did appear to reduce vibration and make for a better video. Looking forward to seeing a Hawaii critter on the video. Just don’t miss with that film going! :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Much better, Ron! Nice work!
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#19 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ron Kulas

#20 Post by Ron Kulas »

I've made a change regarding the broadhead I will use for the Bull hunt. I had planed to use the woodsman broadhead which is a 3 blade 1 1/8" cutting diameter head and its what I used on my recent Russian boar hunt. The Woodsman flies great and performed well on the hog, producing a pass through even though the off side shoulder and it may certainly do well on a large bull but due to the size of the bulls, the recent passing of Roger Rothhar and because they fly equally well, I'm switching to the Roger Rothhar Snuffer broadhead.

One of the many advantages of high FOC arrows is that broadhead tuning is far easier and you can get just about any broadhead to fly well because the weight forward arrow means the fletching account for so much more steering ability. Ive been shooting the large Snuffers out to 50+ yards with fantastic accuracy. The total broadhead weight will be 250 grains.

Here you can see the difference between the Woodsman (that I used on my recent Russian boar hunt) and the much larger Rothhar Snuffer.

In comparison, here is the 1 3/8" snuffer next to my favorite deer broadhead (Slick Trick magum 1 1/8")

Next up is creating a shipping container for the bow and gear I will ship to the Hotel in Kauai in advance of my departure on the 15th.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#21 Post by Ron Kulas »

I shipped to bow and other gear to the hotel in Kauai. Its now got 2 weeks to make the journey. I checked with FedX and UPS and the Post office. FedX and UPS were crazy expensive. (3 or 4 times the cost of the post office) The cost to ship a bow and gear totaling 27 pounds was only $84. I insured it for $1500 which added another $20. I thought was a fair price. The bow is in a hard case and I built a pretty heavy duty box and included a handle so the carriers have a means to handle it. In a week I will call the Hotel to see if it arrived.

The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#22 Post by Ron Kulas »

With only 10 days before departure for Hawaii there has been a change of plans. Early in the planning stage I researched Hawaiian outfitters and selected one. A phone call and a couple emails were exchanged then a deposit sent to the outfitter. The bull hunt on the Big Island was booked. I booked a flight from Kauai to the big island, Hotel accommodations made on the big island and everything was set. Then all communications ended. Several phone messages were left, several emails sent, messages via their facebook page, messages sent via their “contact us” link on their web site and zero responses. Weeks went by and even at this writing there have been no replies to any and all attempts to contact them. I don’t think this was a scam as the outfitter did not cash the deposit check that was sent. Yesterday, I placed a stop payment on that check and a final email stating that I was no longer planning to hunt with them.

Im hesitant to be too harsh with the outfitter as I don’t know the whole story. Perhaps he died or was injured in an accident or is ill or some other catastrophic life event and until I learn (if I ever learn) what the situation is that made him go missing, I cant pass judgement and since he didn’t cash the deposit check, Im out nothing but time in planning.

Yesterday I booked a new Vancouver bull hunt with another outfitter who happened to have an opening near the dates I would be in Hawaii. I had to cancel the original hotel stay and book a different hotel and re-book my inter-island flight as the days the new outfitter had available were not the same days as my first planned hunt. So, now I have a new outfitter, new hotel and revised flight itinerary and was able to pull it all together in one day. Nothing like a complete change of plans 10 days prior to flying 4,500 miles for a hunt. I guess this is how memories are made. Nobody recalls things that go smoothly and according to plan.
The Joy is in the doing.

Longtrad

#23 Post by Longtrad »

Sounds stressful. Glad you got it back on track though

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

I didn't realize there was that much difference between the woodsmen and snuffers....wow.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ron Kulas

#25 Post by Ron Kulas »

11 hours of total flight time. and we made it.

Reunited and it feels so good.

We start with 5 days of vacation on Kauai and then over to the Big Island for the hunt.
The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”