Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#16 Post by Graps »

Very nice Darren.
Thanks for sharing.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

Close to 30 years ago, I wanted to make a black powder measure.
I red books ( no internet back then ) and found out that there's 7000 grains in a pound.
I then found where the cubic inches on a pound of black powder was.
Ok, I'm ready to do the math.
I crunched the numbers, figured out the volume of 10 grains of black powder and taking a brass tube I was in business.
Made a bushing for the base, a knurled brass knob, made the main shaft, attached the piston, drilled the increment dimples and installed a set screw in the side that would fit the dimples.
And it was finished......
A few hours later as it was sitting on my work bench at work, my boss came in and saw it.
He picked it up, fiddled with it and asked what it was.
I told him it was a black powder measure.
He then played with adjusting it up and down.
Said " That's very neat and easy to use " at that point he put it in his pocket and said " why don't you make yourself one " and walked out of the tool room.
:shock:
This one in the picture is the next one I made for me.
Attachments
20180131_152656~01.jpg
20180131_152656~01.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 313 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Sweet! I have one sorta like that but I bought it, didn't make it. That is a real keeper.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, most of you know by now one of my passions is collecting black powder revolvers. But I like all sorts of BP guns as well. Here are a few pix of my Lyman Trade Rifle half-stock Hawken-style rifle in .50 cal, 1:48 twist...

Business end...

Some very nice oiled wood for the stock...

The lock

Cheekpiece

Brass trigger guard

Single-set trigger

...and his baby brother, also in .50

These things are a real hoot to shoot, and very accurate. The Lyman Plains Pistol surprised me with it's accuracy. I've hunted several season with the rifle.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#20 Post by Graps »

Nice

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice pix, Darren...love the gun AND the buckskins. Would love to see some more (hint, hint)
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#22 Post by dhaverstick »

Captainkirk wrote:Nice pix, Darren...love the gun AND the buckskins. Would love to see some more (hint, hint)
Not sure, exactly, what you want to see, Kirk, so here are some more pics of my clothing.

My hunting leathers - the "appaloosa" effect was the result of an accident. I was touching up one of the cuffs on my shirt with dye when I accidentally dropped a spot of it right in the middle of the shirt. Since I couldn't undo the mistake, I decided to go all Jackson Pollack on the whole outfit. It actually gives it a camo effect when hunting in them. Everything is made from deer hide and it was all sewn by hand using artificial sinew.

This frocked longhunter coat is a cross between a capote and a frocked coat. It is made from bison hide and the trim, bling, and fringe are deer hide. You get a workout just wearing this coat because it weighs over 10 pounds. But, man, does it turn the wind! I made a fleece liner to put in it and I believe it would have to be 10 below in order to wear this coat with the liner in it without burning up.

I make moccasins for folks from time to time. This pair is one of my favorites. A good friend of mine, Lester McCoy, is a Miami Indian and he wanted me to make him a pair to wear to dance in at the powwows. He said he wanted them flashy so that's what he got! After I finished them, my wife said, "They needs some beads" and I told her that I had spent enough time on the project and she could bead them if she wanted to. So she did and I have to admit that they do look better with the beads.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Yep, that's what I wanted to see...
Amazing work and craftsmanship! I feel fortunate to share a forum with so many multi-talented folks!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

Very cool stuff right there.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

New Starr on the way...
For those of you not familiar, the Starr revolver was the third most-issued Union service revolver issued during the ACW (American Civil War), though history has mostly forgotten this in favor of Colt and Remington replicas. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a NIB (New In Box) Pietta Starr SA (Single Action) revolver from a dealer in CO through an acquaintance on one of my black powder forums and struck a deal. While I've not seen the gun, my acquaintance has, and gave it the thumbs-up. This should be joining my little collection shortly...

For you history buffs...
Starr made two version; the double action (DA) which began production in 1858, available in both .36 (Navy) caliber and .44 (Army) caliber. The DA proved troublesome and complex with a very heavy trigger pull; the Department of War asked Starr if they could produce a simpler (and cheaper ) SA version, which they did beginning in 1863 (only in Army caliber, .44) The new SA revolvers sold for $12.00 in comparison to the DA at $22.00 apiece. There are quite a few original Starrs out there on the gun auction sites in both SA and DA, but "they ain't cheap", as the saying goes...beginning at around $1200.00 and going up quite a bit from there depending on condition.

Since Pietta ceased production of both SA and DA models, I feel fortunate to have stumbled across one NIB for a reasonable price! I will share some more photos when I get it in hand.
For your entertainment, here is Clint Eastwood as William Munny in "Unforgiven" shooting a Starr DA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGbHX4knV4
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”