Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#106 Post by Graps »

I've not had any experience with them.
Kirk is the pistol guy here.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#107 Post by Captainkirk »

Dave, I have a Lyman Plains Pistol in .50 caplock. The thing is a tack driver at 25 yards (trad bow distances) and shoots the same balls I cast for my Trade Rifle. I have not tried shooting at distances over 25 and have never hunted with it, but if the need arose I would not hesitate at tradbow distances.
Main difference is that I load 30 gr 2F or Pyrodex RS (Rifle/shotgun) powder rather than Pyrodex P (pistol) or 3F to get the accuracy I'm talking about. Basically it's a sawed-off .50 cal so makes sense to use 2F powder to me but YMMV. Pressures are lower with coarser powder too so you can load more without unwanted pressure spikes.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#108 Post by stumper »

Good to know Kirk. That's the one I was looking at. Man this all sounds like too much fun. I love reloading and the idea of being able to customize each load sounds super fun.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#109 Post by Captainkirk »

Dave, here are a few pix of the Lyman PP;

That's one big sewer-hole!
Be advised that while this is also available in .54 cal, there were an alarming number of reports from the field complaining about the stocks cracking at the grip radius. Could be user error, IDK, but for a first BP gun I would stick with the 50.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#110 Post by Captainkirk »

Of course, if more than one shot is desired and some good distance, you can't overlook the ubiquitous Walker Colt, which when loaded with (up to) 60 grains of 3F, was the most powerful repeating handgun until the advent of the Elmer Keith's .357 Magnum cartridge in 1934...one I'm sure you are quite familiar with.
I also have a Walker and would not hesitate to hunt with it, either. Or any of my Dragoons. All depends on what you are looking for.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#111 Post by stumper »

Thinking single shot for now. I don't have any opportunities at the moment to elk hunt so I am thinking 50 cal for sure. Just not sure if I'll go pistol or rifle first. I like both, the rifle is most expensive obvisouly but would better for hunting distances past trad now. The pistol however could get me into BP way sooner and maybe satisfy my urges. Decisions decisions.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#112 Post by Captainkirk »

Are you talking kit or finished product?
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#113 Post by stumper »

Finished product.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#114 Post by Captainkirk »

Plenty of used BP rifles out there for less than the cost of a PP if that's what you really want. Try searching on GunBroker, Auction Arms or Armslist.
A lot of guys try it out and decide it's not for them.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#115 Post by Graps »

Still not getting much time to work on my flintlock, but I got after it for a few minutes today.
Now that the breach plug is installed, I'm wanting to inlet the breach plug in the stock.
The breach of the barrel is needing to move back about 1/8" so the roughed out portion for the lolypop tang will clean up with no gaps.
20180707_114649~01.jpg
20180707_114649~01.jpg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”