Box on my porch!

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Box on my porch!

#161 Post by Carpdaddy »

So I get to sand off and redo. Guess I'll just do Tru Oil and wait for it to dry. Here it is still tacky, a few more coats tomorrow then I get to fix the glass uglies.
Notice the many worm holes in the Marblewood, your not along on the worm thing anymore Graps. I'm calling this one Carp Bait!
Attachments
IMG_4953.jpg
IMG_4953.jpg (133.55 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
IMG_4952.jpg
IMG_4952.jpg (129.87 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
IMG_4951.jpg
IMG_4951.jpg (127.6 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#162 Post by Captainkirk »

But seriously, Tony...did it fish-eye only on the limbs or on the riser too? I would think the riser would be easier to sand/re-spray than the limbs, where the light would make it show more due to the flat surface.
I gotta tell you, that is one smart looking bow.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#163 Post by Carpdaddy »

Only the limbs close to the riser.

Graps

#164 Post by Graps »

Well Tony , that Wormhole bow is still my favorite bow .
It holds a special meaning for me and Jose put a lot of character into it .
And I'm going to add DON,T USE THE POLY FOR ANYTHING !
I have used it to finish woos handle knives and after just a few months , it turns yellow .
The only thing I use now is either True Oil or Lynspeed Oil .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#165 Post by Shadowhntr »

That bow is stinking gorgeous Tony. Tell you what, let the limbs go, and finish the riser. Send it to me, and I'll sand them fish eyes off for you..... no sense in you mess'in with it while ur hunting. When Im done, I'll even finish the limbs for you.

Of course, I best keep it a while....you know, to make sure the finish don't peel or nothin. :mrgreen:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#166 Post by Carpdaddy »

Lol; You one kind feller there Jason.
And Graps; I don't use it on wood, but it does well on glass. I love Oil on wood also.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#167 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:Only the limbs close to the riser.
OK, you know that "Tire Shine" you spray on your tires to make 'em look black and shiny?
Silicone.
And the reason they tell you not to spray motorcycle or bicycle tires?
Because it "creeps".
More than one biker has been sprawled all over the road despite his caution to keep the tread area dry and untreated, because while the bike is sitting, the Tire Shine is not. It's moving down to the untreated areas, making it slippery as banana peels.
Same concept here.
You might try covering the limb surfaces with painter's tape until the riser is dry, then remove it and spray the limbs separate.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#168 Post by Longtrad »

I always see folks say to spray the limbs, why not just rub it on the limbs same as the riser? A tru oil finish sure is pretty.

Are you rubbing the tru oil/ armor all until it dries or just wiping it smooth and letting it dry?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#169 Post by Carpdaddy »

I stopped using the Armor All, the last three coats are Tru Oil only. The Armor All does work but it had a little different appearance in the wood. I'm thinking it was my mistake from spraying the Armor All first. But I stopped it anyway. I was rubbing it until it became too tacky, didn't take long when using both. Why would a feller get in a hurry after working on something this long? Because that's me! :oops:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#170 Post by Carpdaddy »

Very busy day yesterday but I did manage to get out for a short time; twice. I re-sanded, cleaned well, and re-sprayed one limb each time.
Attachments
IMG_4956.jpg
IMG_4956.jpg (130.56 KiB) Viewed 1480 times

Return to “The Bowyer”