Testing the waters

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Testing the waters

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Did I mention I'm doing a little shooting? I did, didn't I.
Not that anything has changed here on the outside; neighbors are still neighbors, ordinances are still ordinances, and all that. You guys know the scoop; no need to beat a dead horse.
But there have been some positive INSIDE changes.
First off, the "range". While prior examples offered a variety of distances up to 40 yards, the ultimate backstop was still the neighbor's fence, regardless of the distance between said fence and the target. After much cogitation and deliberation on the matter, I "changed it up", placing a sheet of plywood against the back wall of my garage and placing the target block in front of it. Bottom line; a low hit that would penetrate the plywood goes right into concrete. A wild or high shot goes, well...into the garage siding. With my babies inside (motorcycles/project car) it ain't happened yet. Let's just say I'm "motivated" not to do that...
The downside? Well, this "new" range is 15 yards. D'as it, d'as all. 15 yards. Deal with it. Beats not shooting, or being unsafe. Since I consider my "max ethical range" to be 20 yards anyway, no biggie.
Upsides? Well, my shooting area is now completely obscured by brush and leaves. And by leaving the noisy plastic burlap bag in the garage and using my 'spensive new"block", you'd have to listen hard to know what I was up to. And if I start shooting those "Bunny Busters", well...pretty much covers everything but the legal aspects.

The "New" range facilities...

So, tonight I tested out the new range. I was amazed at the first group of 5 I shot:

...Immediately followed by this group:

...and gradually breaking down to "crapola" afterwards, as my lack of muscle tone from not shooting much this past year+ began to work me over. Plus, it was only 15 yards, so nothing to write home about, folks.
Still, I'll take it... :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Testing the waters

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's great Kirk, glad your getting to fling some arrows again. I'm using a stall mat from Tractor Supply, does great on stopping a stray arrow. I have those regular! :oops:

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

Nice shooting
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Invest in 3 more sheets Kirk, to put to the sides and over the top of the existing sheet. It's better then the siding...just saying.

I shoot a lot at 15....That's where my deer are going to be. Nice shooting and....some of them shafts look vaguely familiar! :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Instead of plywood , try horse mats . They are much easier on the arrows and they don't go BANG when you hit it .
Just a quiet thud .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Good points, gents...this is sort of just a 'trial run'. So far (other than the max distance) I'm pleased with the results.
And yes, those shafts do bear a resemblance to something or other...I forget... :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:Instead of plywood , try horse mats . They are much easier on the arrows and they don't go BANG when you hit it .
Just a quiet thud .
Where does one get horse mats? Would moving blankets work as well? I'm working on cooking up something a little more permanent for next season.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

You can get horse mats at any farm supply store , like Tractor Supply .
They are heavy rubber mats 4 ' by 6 ' . I have seen them smaller 2 ' by 4 ' .
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -ft-x-6-ft
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh! :D I have a roll of VERY heavy rubber mat, probably 4 feet wide, half inch thick and reinforced with fiberglass mat. I came off a conveyor belt. I will hack off a hunk and try it!
Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#10 Post by Mohawk »

That's about as far as I get to shoot too, Kirk. It's illegal to shoot in my town too, but it has to be done. I can pack up and go to the country to shoot if time allows but all to often if I shoot, it's spur of the moment.
I'll bet that rubber mat will save some worry! Man! If I had a $ for every arrow I pounded into Shadows garage! :lol: Or the house across the street! :shock: :oops:

Return to “Practice/Training”