Painted arrows

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Shadowhntr

Re: Painted arrows

#71 Post by Shadowhntr »

I like it!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#72 Post by Graps »

Look fine to me
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#73 Post by Captainkirk »

Ummmm...I's be learnin'. :shock:
Fletched up arrow #2 tonight. One of the black feathers did not glue well so I had to peel it off and re-glue it. The orange paint did not like that. :?
Looks pretty butt-ugly but it's drying now in the Bitz. I will probably have to go back over the bad spots with a touch up brush....sigh... :oops:
If I do painted arrows again (and I probably will) I think I will dip them in poly after they're painted.
It's gonna be a looooong learning curve, methinks. :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#74 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, for better or for worse, I finished up my half dozen 'vintage-look' painted arrows:

I learned a lot in the process, mostly what NOT to do, or how to do things differently than I did them the first time. Fletch-Tite is definitely different than using the Bohning fletch tape. There's a technique, and it took me a couple tries to get it right. I will go over these things in detail in the 'All About Arrows' forum later, but for now it's good to have a half-dozen look-alikes to my old vintage arrows. Why a half-dozen, you ask? Because I'm not sure if I want to do the other six in that scheme; I might try something different and keep the extra feathers and nocks for the repairs that are sure to come.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#75 Post by Captainkirk »

One little factoid that really surprised me; the heaviest arrow of the bunch weighed 600 grains!...more than any of my CAS customs with 5 inch feathers! All I can think is that the multiple layers of paint are heavier than I thought they would be. And this is with 125 field points! Tomorrow night I will check FOC, but I have a super-early morning tomorrow, so...night, all!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#76 Post by Graps »

:o Don't know how to tell you this , but I think you made them arras backwards .
They spose to point the other way . :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Mohawk

#77 Post by Mohawk »

:lol: :!:
Great looking arrows Kirk!

Longtrad

#78 Post by Longtrad »

I have found a layer of paint to weigh about 10 grains YMMV

Nice looking arrows Kirk!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#79 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:I have found a layer of paint to weigh about 10 grains YMMV

Nice looking arrows Kirk!
That could explain it, then...there are at least 2 layers of white and 2 layers of orange on each arrow.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#80 Post by Captainkirk »

After all is said and done...the painted look is kinda growing on me. It might be very interesting to try out some other color combos, but how many dozen arrows does one really need hanging around the house, anyway?

If I had to do it over again?

*I would DEFINITELY allow the different color coats (white/color) to fully cure for several days between white base and color. And while none of the white Rustoleum never came off down to bare wood, there were numerous spots where the orange came off exposing white basecoat.

*As per above, "there is no fire", hence no need to rush painting. Let the damn paint dry and fully cure!

*The cresting (Testor's) enamel....especially the black...should have been thinned.It went on too thick on several arrows.

*If shaft weight uniformity is critical, pay very close attention to how much paint you apply. You can fine-tune weight by adding a layer of paint.

*Fletch-Tite will remove most enamels due to the MEK content. Make sure to do all your fletching jig adjustment and tweaking PRIOR to applying Fletch-Tite, and make sure you allow paint to cure before fletching...or use the Bohning fletch tape.

*If using Super Glue for nock adhesion, make absolutely sure they are where you want them because removing a Super-glued nock will not only destroy the nock, buy also might remove some wood along with it. (ask me how I know)

*The Bitz instructions tell you to rotate the indexing knob clockwise, Don't do this, as it turns your newly glued fletching right into the magnets (duh!) Rotate COUNTER-clockwise!

*While Bohning says you can remove the clamp after 5 minutes after adhesion when using Fletch-Tite, it's best to wait 20 minutes. Don't get in a hurry. Again; there is no fire. Go have a beer.

*Marco Snap-On nocks will drag on the nock index hole on the Bitz, You really have to push hard for proper seating.

Painted arrows definitely have the nostalgic look and feel for your older bow, and offer something out of the ordinary at the 3D range. I recommend everyone with woodies have at least a few!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”