The old K-Mag

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

The old K-Mag

#1 Post by Graps »

Well this is not just about my old K-Mag , you see its much more than that .

My dad got me shooting a bow and arrow in the early 60's , I was around 6 years old . He would take me hunting with him and I would watch as he dressed out the harvest .

As the years crept by I finally got old enough to hunt myself , I got a Bear Cub that I bought from a friend at school for $5.00 and I hunted with it for a few years . I had seen the Bear Kodiak Magnums in the department store and I wanted one real bad .

A year or so later I was completing the requirements to become an Eagle Scout and my dad asked me what gift I would like to celebrate the day . Well let me think " A KODIAK MAGNUM ! " He got me one and it was wonderful . I had never shot a bow that was center shot let alone one over 36# draw . I had it under control quite soon .

Two more years went by and I had still not taken a deer . The season was starting and my dad told me " If you want to get a deer you are going to have to sit quiet and not move and don't get up and walk around . "

OK , opening day ; packed enough snacks and hot chocolate to last until dark . I was set , got in my tree branch , tied in my rope seat and settled in for the long haul . It was 6:45 am and just about light enough to see .

7:05 am I heard some walking , two deer were going to walk past my tree . Took aim at the closest one and drove my arrow down threw its back between the shoulder blades . I had a good hit and was ready to wait a half hour and the deer jumped forward one leap and was down . I climbed down ran over to it and dressed it out and started dragging it back home as fast as i could because my dad left for work at 7:30 . My mom saw that I was coming across the field out back and told my dad that Dale is pulling something . My dad waited for me to get to the house before he left and I was so excited .

Well that K-Mag has taken countless carp , dog fish and gar , as well as many snapping turtles while it was still legal .

Now many years later I still have the old K-Mag and I had loaned it to my son so he could shoot with his daughter . And one day last year we were at my mom and dads farm shooting in the yard . My dad has a brain cloud and was getting very mixed up . We were watching as my son was trying to shoot and my dad asked me what they were doing . I said they were shooting bow and arrows . He said " did I ever do that ? " and I told him that he taught me to shoot .

About then my son said " grandpa come show me how its done . "

My dad took the old K-Mag and was about 15 yards from the target , knocked an arrow , drew back very shaky about half draw and hit about 6 inches high and a little left of the bull . He took another arrow and the same shaky short draw , put it about 2 inches below the bull and said " that's all I want to do , it hurts to much . "

Its now about a year and a half later and he doesn't know who any one is . And fore some reason I felt that the old K-Mag needs to be refinished and retired . It has been sent to The Bow Hospital and will be made like new . I plan to post on the reviews thread a review on the refinish and I will have pics of before and after . It can take several weeks before I get it back so look for the post in a month or so .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The old K-Mag

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

That was a very enjoyable and moving read, thanks for sharing it. I stopped and said a prayer for your family. As a caregiver myself I know first hand how difficult it can be when your loved one is suffering. I have not had to endure the pain of not being recognized by my loved one yet but he is very confused a lot of the time. I keep a brother that I removed from the nursing home after getting fed up with the care (or lack of) that he was receiving. Most of my day is spent changing, bathing, feeding, etc.. He cannot communicate by voice but I have learned to read facial expressions.
Well; sorry I got caught up so in this part of your story but was moved by it. I know this was about a special bow and parent so I will make one comment on the bow part. You will never hear such a story come from a compound shooter! They become obsolete after just a few years of service and usually go out to the yard sale or trash long before the time frame you described.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps, that was amazing. Thanks for sharing. Now help me get rid of this dang lump in my throat....
Aim small, miss small!

Ardwen

#4 Post by Ardwen »

I like that story. Just about cried. It's hard when people we love grow old, and lose their facilities. The dad in this story is my grandfather. I miss him a lot. When I get a chance to go back to Michigan, and visit, it's not easy when he doesn't understand, or remember people.

Thanks for sharing this story, Dad.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

It's a hard thing, maybe harder than losing them in a moment. Watching a loved one go downhill is tough.
Aim small, miss small!

scaler

#6 Post by scaler »

memories are a great gift.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Was hoping to get a picture of the Old K-Mag when it got back with my dad holding it .
Don't look like that's going to happen . He has took some bad falls this past weekend and he now has pneumonia and that induced heart failure . He is in Hospice care and they are just keeping him comfortable .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

woodsman

#8 Post by woodsman »

I lost my Father through complications due to Alztimers, terrible thing. He didn't know me anymore but we would talk and he would ask.. d on't i know you.. I would say yes and we talk about old times.. He could remember old times but not recent times.

A prayer for your Father and you.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

I will add my prayers as well.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

Thanks dad for getting me that Kodiak Magnum .

Return to “Campfire”