Making wood arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: Making wood arrows

#51 Post by Shadowhntr »

Affirmative. If any person....esp a newbie...is seeing their arrow as one of good flight and hitting their mark...what else could be wanted? I'm certain a newb isn't going to have as keen of an eye or sensory about the arrows tune and flight, as someone who has tuned a thousand arrows and perfected the release....but c'mon, it ain't gonna be THAT bad. If there is room for improvement, let em be and let time take it's course. They'll get better if need be in due time. It's like anything else, the more you do it the better you get at it. But that hardly means the beginning arrows were unacceptable...it simply means over time they may or may not make improvements in their tuning approach.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longbowfanatic

#52 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:
Longbowfanatic wrote:I will say that I wasn't sure there was anything to argue about. I thought we were in agreement all along.
We were, yes...
Some folks on other forums will dissect an arrow like it was a murder victim, fussing and fiddling down to the last grain of weight, perfectly matched spine and straightness...
Again, there is nothing wrong with this approach. There IS something wrong with trying to terrify newbies into hysterics by telling them they totally messed up by buying 500 spine instead of 400 spine and they should toss them in the garbage...fairly prevalent on some of the target sites. You learn as you go, so I've found...but heck, you could probably shoot a rake handle with a slot cut in it and do OK.
Helping folks attain the best arrow flight and performance is one thing. Upbraiding them for their choice is another altogether. That has nothing to do with this forum though.
Yup. Good points. Thanks. I used to buy .001-.003 straightness carbon arrows until I shot with a national champion archer. He told me that in a shooting machine .006 straightness arrows will impact about an inch from .001 straightness arrows at 50 yards, and that the difference between .001 and .006 straightness arrows is about three to four human hairs. Unbelievable!

Longbowfanatic

#53 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Kinda puts things in perspective.

Shadowhntr

#54 Post by Shadowhntr »

....so to take that further... 25 yards there would only be 1/2" difference between the two. And so for the hunter in us, at 12.5 yards there would only be 1/4" difference between the two. Not really to hard to see why I'm buying the cheaper .006 every time!

It's actually only a human hair or 2 difference, as the average human hair is around .003".

Longbowfanatic

#55 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Shadowhntr wrote:....so to take that further... 25 yards there would only be 1/2" difference between the two. And so for the hunter in us, at 12.5 yards there would only be 1/4" difference between the two. Not really to hard to see why I'm buying the cheaper .006 every time!

It's actually only a human hair or 2 difference, as the average human hair is around .003".

Good point. If one human hair is .003 that makes my point even more. If three or four hairs difference are truly only two, that’s even more significant. And that accuracy seen is assuming a perfect release each time!

Shadowhntr

#56 Post by Shadowhntr »

Absolutely brother!

Graps

#57 Post by Graps »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to stay out of this, as tempting as it is.
Some of you know what I think about crunching numbers and arrows. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#58 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to stay out of this, as tempting as it is.
Some of you know what I think about crunching numbers and arrows. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aww,don't be a party pooper, Graps. You got an opinion like the rest of us, let fly with it!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#59 Post by Graps »

If it ain't broke..............
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#60 Post by stumper »

I just buy the cheapest sticks I can find and fling um till they break.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “All about arrows”