Two Dozen (wood arrow build along for the archer on a budget)

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
stumper

Two Dozen (wood arrow build along for the archer on a budget)

#1 Post by stumper »

Finally got the go ahead to build two dozen poor boy wood arrows from the wife. Ordered two dozen shafts and fixings for my widow maker recurve. Going to be plain Jane arrows with no stain, four coats of tung oil and 3 inch shield feathers for people on a budget. Shafts are 28 bucks a dozen and weighed plus or minus 5 grains and hand spined within 5 pounds. Feathers were 25 bucks for 100.

I am doing a build along for anyone wanting to see how easy wood arrows are to make. I am going to walk through the tuning process also. I know many of you out there know how to do this and are probably much better than I. But I have received questions before and I thought I would do a little post on how I make a dozen finished arrows for about 45 bucks total. Its amazing how little work goes into them.

Just ordered to today so shafts should be here next week.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Two dozen

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I will be watching with interest. Even though I've built a bunch of my own, it's always helpful to watch someone else to see what I'm doing wrong...
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 am I will be watching with interest. Even though I've built a bunch of my own, it's always helpful to watch someone else to see what I'm doing wrong...
Kirk, you are far too humble...These arrows will not look near as good as yours do Kirk... No cresting or anything more than maybe a little hand straightening ... All I can say is that I have been making my arrows this way for about three years now and they fly well and I still have some left over from a batch I made two years ago, so they do last a while.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, thanks for the compliment, but I always wrestle with shooting a nicely crested set of cedars. It's kinda like driving a new car.
Your po' boy arrows are practical as well as economical, although once you've made the investment in a crester and paints, it really doesn't add that much to the project to make 'em purdy.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Yeah at $3.75 per finished arrow, I don't cry when I break one that is for sure. It's funny, many people I talk to tell me they can't afford to shoot wood arrows. I usually laugh and say, I can't afford to shoot anything other than wood arrows. Truth is many good carbon arrows start at $8 bucks for just the shaft (not counting blemished shafts).

Bearpaw spruce shafts $28.50 per dozen.
Bearpaw 3inch solid color shield cut feather $25.35 (100 pack) one dozen only takes 36 feathers so that is $9.126 worth of feathers
11/32 125 grain field tips (12 pack) $4.75
Finish whatever I have lying around (old can of tung oil has made 6 dozen and counting so far).

Total cost $42.38

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Like I always say, KEEP IT SIMPLE
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Jamesh76

Re: Two Dozen (wood arrow build along for the archer on a budget)

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

😁

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

Looking forward to it

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looking forward to watching.

joe harrod1945

#10 Post by joe harrod1945 »

looking forward to watching

Return to “All about arrows”