Walk a straight line?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
stumper

Re: Walk a straight line?

#21 Post by stumper »

dhaverstick wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm Okay, so I went back 3 issues and read the article in question, "The Case for Straight Fletching". I actually found the author's arguments quite compelling. The evidence he sites, other than his own, seemed grounded in science. I was especially moved by physicist C.N. Hickman's claim that an arrow would have to spin millions of revolutions per second to achieve the same gyroscopic stability as a bullet due to its large length-to-diameter ratio and low density. That is all math which can be reproduced. The claim that an arrow is more like a missile than a bullet also made sense to me and, being an aerospace engineer by schooling, I learned a long time ago that the fins on a missile are there for flight stability but do not make the missile spin. The meager evidence the author had to support his claim was just that; too small of a sample to make any claims one way or the other. Still yet I found the whole argument compelling enough that I just ordered a straight clamp and straight nock receiver for my Bitzenburger jig. I am in the process of making my arrows for the coming season so this will be interesting. The author claims that drag is decreased and speed is increased by shooting straight fletching and if I can speed up the logs I shoot just a little bit then the experiment will be worth it.

Darren
Makes a lot of sense. I may be in the market for a new jig soon, may go straight.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:14 am Makes a lot of sense. I may be in the market for a new jig soon, may go straight.
Were you a criminal before this? LOL! :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

joe harrod1945 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:12 pm why did you not post my comments
Your post probably didn't take, Joe. Try it again.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#24 Post by Captainkirk »

dhaverstick wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm Okay, so I went back 3 issues and read the article in question, "The Case for Straight Fletching". I actually found the author's arguments quite compelling. The evidence he sites, other than his own, seemed grounded in science. I was especially moved by physicist C.N. Hickman's claim that an arrow would have to spin millions of revolutions per second to achieve the same gyroscopic stability as a bullet due to its large length-to-diameter ratio and low density. That is all math which can be reproduced. The claim that an arrow is more like a missile than a bullet also made sense to me and, being an aerospace engineer by schooling, I learned a long time ago that the fins on a missile are there for flight stability but do not make the missile spin. The meager evidence the author had to support his claim was just that; too small of a sample to make any claims one way or the other. Still yet I found the whole argument compelling enough that I just ordered a straight clamp and straight nock receiver for my Bitzenburger jig. I am in the process of making my arrows for the coming season so this will be interesting. The author claims that drag is decreased and speed is increased by shooting straight fletching and if I can speed up the logs I shoot just a little bit then the experiment will be worth it.

Darren
OK, so you see what I mean now...
He makes a darn interesting argument. However, I would have been much happier if he had backed it up with hard data rather than unproven theory. I'm considering my next dozen woodies to be 1/2 dozen helical fletch, 1/2 dozen straight fletch, all other parameters being the same and comparing apples to apples. Unfortunately, without any measuring equipment, all I will have to go on is gut feeling (pretty much what the author did)
It's interesting, however, that the majority of Native American Indian (primitive) arrows used no helical and they didn't starve to death for the most part.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#25 Post by Captainkirk »

Ouch. Just looked into the details for my experimental arrows. I can build a dozen, half straight fletch, half helical, for around a hundred bucks. BUT...the straight clamp and indexer for my Bitz will set me back another 35 for the clamp and 20 for the indexer!!!!
I might look around to see if I can find a cheap 'plastic' straight jig. Might be cheaper in the long run. Then again, I might hate straight fletched arrows and never want to do that again, depending on my backyard testing. So, cheaper = better
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#26 Post by Captainkirk »

Or, maybe I'll let Darren go first... ;)
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#27 Post by dhaverstick »

Kirk, look at https://www.eders.com/. I bought the Bitzenburger straight clamp and indexer for $46.84. It's still not cheap but it is cheaper than what you were looking at.

Darren

Elkman
Site Admin

#28 Post by Elkman »

I came across this while looking online for the article in question.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/game- ... t-accurate

They are using vanes and compounds though.

And then this one.

http://archeryreport.com/2011/07/helica ... eleration/

And this one.

https://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon-ar ... l-foc.html

Sorry I posted links to posts related to different archery equipment, but I saw useful info and thought I'd share because we can use elevated rests and vanes if we so choose.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the article.
It looks to me like the most accurate vane setup comes close to what fairly straight feathers offer naturally?
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “All about arrows”