Root Beer BBQ Pulled Venison Sandwiches

Share your curing methods and recipes.
Forum rules
Share all recipes and anything pertaining to the cooking of wild game.
Gamestalker

Root Beer BBQ Pulled Venison Sandwiches

#1 Post by Gamestalker »

Ingredients:
⦁ 1 large thawed venison roast
⦁ 1 packet beefy onion soup mix
⦁ 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
⦁ 1 whole diced red onion
⦁ 1 bottle (16-20 oz) root beer
⦁ 1 tablespoon corn starch

Preparation:
  • 1. Combine soup mix, BBQ sauce, onion & 3/4 of root beer.
    2. Stir it all up, coat meat & cook on low for six to seven
    hours.
    3. Shred the venison with a couple forks & place it back in
    sauce.
    4. Mix the left over root beer & corn starch.
    5. Stir in corn starch.
    6. Cook for just a few (about 15) minutes longer with lid on.
    7. Serve on buns or hard rolls.
Good luck not eating it all in one sitting!

Ole Dave

Re: Root Beer BBQ Pulled Venison Sandwiches

#2 Post by Ole Dave »

Excellent recipe!

You lost me on the Onions though..violently allergic... but I got mine before it hit me...I ate hell outa them... in my PA Dutch culture onion went in everthing but the desert!

Almost sounds like a pulled pork receipe in coastal VA!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im gonna try it, but the rootbeer addition makes me a touch apprehensive. ....I'll try it with an open mind though. I originally thought the rootbeer was your dinner drink....lol!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

#4 Post by Ole Dave »

Shad,

I bought an ULtimate dutch oven...looks like an angle food pan but weighs 33#...cone up the center... slits in top.

I would brown off fist size chunks of beef and pork at one back East Shoot, with big chunks of tater in there, top trivet I placed broccoli and slit whole carrots, then poured in orange soda with garlic and such...

I think the flavor's of the soda are absorbed by the meat and just "blend" in... the carbolic acid might help tenderize some from the carbonation, and the sugar doesn't hurt the flavor...

I'd think the root beer would dissipate enough to not be a prominent flavor
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Gamestalker

#5 Post by Gamestalker »

Shadowhntr wrote:Im gonna try it, but the rootbeer addition makes me a touch apprehensive. ....I'll try it with an open mind though. I originally thought the rootbeer was your dinner drink....lol!
The flavor of the root beer is not at all overpowering....
As a matter of fact, the original recipe just stated to add one bottle of root beer, but didn't say what size bottle. I figured a 12-20 oz bottle is what they were talking about. I was going to make this, but my wife beat me to it. She got it all ready & when she started it slow cooking, I remember her making the comment that it just barely fit into her slow cooker & she'd have to watch it to make sure it didn't boil over. I didn't think much of it at the time. Later, when it was done cooking & she got to where it says to add the corn starch to thicken it up she complained to me that it wasn't thickening up. Then she added more corn starch to see if it helped. By the time that I went to the kitchen, she had added three times as much corn starch as it called for & was still complaining that it wasn't thickening up. When I got out there & we were talking about it, that's when I realized that she had used a whole two liter bottle of root beer! :shock:
I ended up carefully scooping out a lot of the liquid while it was boiling down to thicken up.

I actually thought that it would have had more of a root beer taste than it did. We have some root beer syrup that we bought to use when making cookies & I've been considering adding some of that next time we make this to see if it will have a little more of a root beer taste. :?

Even with the "mistake" those pulled venison sandwiches were good! 8-)

White Falcon

#6 Post by White Falcon »

Looks GOOD!

Return to “Recipes”