Tool

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who also enjoy the fine craft of making Custom Knives and Hawks.
Forum rules
Topics include Knife and Hawk questions, advice and build alongs.
Old Shortstop

Tool

#1 Post by Old Shortstop »

I have a couple of old Marbles knives with stacked leather handles, an Ideal and a Woodcraft. They need to be "tightened up", i.e. the leather is a bit loose. In looking at the knives it appears knife builders must have a tool that looks like a screw driver but slotted to tighten stacked leather handles? I have had two guys try to make me one and no luck so far. Anyone have some experience with this?

D.P.

Cookies

Re: Tool

#2 Post by Cookies »

Dave, what you're looking for is called a "spanner head" driver. It looks like a slot screwdriver, but with a notch cut out of the center (or like a small, 2-pronged fork). I believe the old Marples knives used a #8 or #10.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

There's something you can soak the handle in and it will tighten up .
For the life of me I can't think of it . Maybe someone can think of it .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Neatsfoot oil !
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Ron Kulas

#5 Post by Ron Kulas »

The wrench needs to be hardened steel or the prongs will just bend. Couple that with the fact the your tightening a rusty joint. The prongs need to be short or they will bend. With want to tighten up the leather stack and then soak in tung oil. It soaks in and then cures to a hard finish. The first soaking is the most important. Sand the stack before soaking.
The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “Knives and Hawks”