Shakespeare Bows

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Shakespeare Bows

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

Same here, Bill. I've managed to get pretty good at finding what I want at the right price, then sniping it out from under other bidders. I'd be glad to share my, ummm, "tactics".
Aim small, miss small!

Kamn

#12 Post by Kamn »

so thats who grabbed that Bear kodiak the other day LOL

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Kamn wrote:so thats who grabbed that Bear kodiak the other day LOL
Nosir, I haven't stolen a bow for at least 6 months... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did see it, tho.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Roadking wrote:Kirk & Kamm thanks for the tips. Just back from the Kalamazoo show and there were 100's of used bows. I didn't see any name brands in the price point I was looking. Anything under a $100 I didn't recognize or it wasn't marked. I have time, being new I'll keep an eye on eBay and CL and if I have questions I'll be sure to pick your brains. Thanks!
Bill, the problem with dealers selling bows is that they know they can get at least 50% of new price, even on a bow that's 40+ years old.
The most I paid for a used bow was my Bear Tamerlane; they are going for $850.00-$1000.00 on eBay, more through dealers. I found the one I wanted (a '69 model in perfect condition) on eBay and got it for a smidge under $300.00 because;
a) I knew what the value was
b) I knew what I was willing to pay
c) I asked the right questions and got extra photos others did not
d) I was willing to walk away if the deal went bad.
Any dealer would have asked 3X the price because they know the value. Many sellers do too, but are willing to concede some of that value for a quick sale.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#15 Post by Longtrad »

I got a 1970s bear grizzly that was either hardly ever shot or just refinished for a touch under 200 bucks. There are tons of grizzlies in that price range, I lost a few bids before I got that one but i'm glad I held out for one in nice shape.

Kamn

#16 Post by Kamn »

Id like to get my hands on a 58" or longer Bear with a 50lb draw for under $200........its tough out there, I wonder if it will change once winter passes?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Kamn wrote:Id like to get my hands on a 58" or longer Bear with a 50lb draw for under $200........its tough out there, I wonder if it will change once winter passes?
Are you kidding me? Child's play!
First off...are we talking USD or Canadian?
Second...almost every nice bow in the bear lineup is 58+" including all the Grizzlies from 1949 thru 1963 (all 62") and 1964-67, 1971-2016 (58") with the only exception being the 1968-70 models which were 56". The Kodiak Hunters were all 60" from '67 to '77
The Grizzly...the "working man's bow"...frequently shows up at under $200.00 USD (at least to start; "a man's got to know his limitations" ('Dirty Harry' Callahan) so if you are seriously interested, let me know and I'll start tipping you off when I see a nice one. The K-Hunter has a larger grip and feels more meaty in the hand (I have both the K-hunter and K-Mag models as well as the Grizzly). I shoot better with the Griz, honestly.
Are you dead-set on a 50# draw? I ask this because a lot of us (myself included) have caused injuries and damage shooting extended practice sessions with a "He-Man" bow and have come to the conclusion that a good 40-45# bow will kill a deer just as dead provided to have good shot placement, shaving sharp broadheads, and a heavy FOC arrow (some debate this but many of us are believers)
In short, Bear made a gazillion bows from economy priced to big bucks bows as did Ben Pearson. They're out there. If you want one, let me know what you are looking forand we will find you one.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

Heck, I'll sell mine, 180 bucks to your door US, i would have to check about shipping to Canada

49@28

And I'll throw in a brand new Ten ring string too.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, there ya go!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Kamn, PM sent
Aim small, miss small!