Painted arrows

History of Archery and collecting antique and collectible Traditional Archery supplies.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the history of archery. The collecting of antique and collectible traditional archery items. Not for selling items or trading. Not for selling items you manufactured unless you are a sponsor.
Mohawk

Re: Painted arrows

#41 Post by Mohawk »

:lol: I love finding goodies on sale! I just unloaded my Jo Jan multi fletch and upgraded to a Bitzenburger. Kind of a stupid move on my part because money is tight and I really don't need it right now. Eh, it'll be there when I need it though! :D

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#42 Post by Captainkirk »

Mohawk wrote::lol: I love finding goodies on sale! I just unloaded my Jo Jan multi fletch and upgraded to a Bitzenburger. Kind of a stupid move on my part because money is tight and I really don't need it right now. Eh, it'll be there when I need it though! :D
You're smarter than you think, Jim. The Bitz will outlast you and probably your grandkids as well.
Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#43 Post by Mohawk »

Yep, that ol Jo Jan fletched a bunch of arrys in its day, but really it was sloppy as far as how the clamps laid in the slots. Plus since I'm using fletching tape, I'm not losing any time not being able to fletch 6 arrows at a time. Just slap the feather on and go.

Shadowhntr

#44 Post by Shadowhntr »

Isn't it the shi_s that the invention of double sided tape made that piece of equipment senseless? A few cents knocking out almost a hundred dollar bill.....crazy inventors...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#45 Post by Captainkirk »

Yep. I've used the tape, but there are caveats. One being that some users have reported the tape coming loose in very high/dry heat e.g Arizona, or after being left in a car for extended periods. I have not noticed any issues myownself.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#46 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ive read that too. I've always dabbed a spot of cement on each end of the feather quill anyway, but now I put one lil dab in the middle as well along the seam now since I heard about that.

Mohawk

#47 Post by Mohawk »

@ Shadow, yes it is but I sure do like it, the tape and the new jig. :lol:
I haven't heard that Kirk, but I wouldn't doubt it either. I'm like Jason, and put that dab of glue on each end of the feather. I haven't put the glue in the middle yet though, or along the seam, but it sounds like a good idear. I haven't had any problems with the tape either but an ounce of prevention sounds like a pound of cure since arrow failure only seems to happen when you most desire it not to happen.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#48 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Ive read that too. I've always dabbed a spot of cement on each end of the feather quill anyway, but now I put one lil dab in the middle as well along the seam now since I heard about that.
FWIW, I'm gonna use Fletch-Tite on this set.

Here is the test dowel rod after 1 coat of Rustoleum gloss white and two coats of Ace Bright Orange...

...and here it is compared to one of the old arra' shafts.

Not bad. A little brighter...but these old arra's are pushing 50 and likely have faded jes' a little. Finish came out pretty decent, considering it's dark out (sprayed in the back yard under the porch light) and humid enough to curl the quills on a porcupine.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#49 Post by Shadowhntr »

Looks good I think. Are they getting a clear coat? If so what will it be?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#50 Post by Captainkirk »

Haven't thought that far ahead yet.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Collecting & History”