WI Deer Hunt #1

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
J. Holden

WI Deer Hunt #1

#1 Post by J. Holden »

Well we're back, no deer were shot. We arrived on Friday afternoon with the temps in the 90's as the sun was setting. My son was fighting a cold and therefore we opted to sleep in and hunt the following afternoon. Saturday morning found us up and moving around 7:30. I ran downstairs from our hotel room and it wasn't too bad. Kind of kicked myself for sleeping in, but I know my son didn't mind.

We decided to run to the property, grab the SD card out of the one camera and hang another stand. As we were walking up the easement "road" we were viscously attacked by mosquitoes and spider webs. We powered through it and reached the hill top where the wind was a little more stiff which helped with the mosquitoes. However the temps were quickly rising. We split up and Jack grabbed the SD card while I went to find an apple tree that I noticed was being used last year.

I was able to hang my stand even while swatting at the skeeters. Jack and I pretty much ran down back down the easement to escape the swarm of blood sucking insects. It felt so good to get back to the truck, put the windows down and drive. The breeze was amazing.

Well, when there's not much to do except kill time what do you do with a 17 year old boy? Go eat of course! We chowed at the local Perkins and then went back to the motel and looked at pictures. My friend has done a great job of making his land a safe haven for animals. There were a few small bucks, does, turkeys, a raccoon who liked his picture being taken and one very large black bear. Needless to say my son was pumped.

About 3 o'clock in the afternoon we were showered and back enroute to the property. As we changed we couldn't believe how warm it was. With temps in the 80's it was going to be uncomfortable. We were sweating just getting dressed. As we again walked up the easement we tried to go slow but those dang mosquitoes were still there. Run or walk? We swatted and tried to maintain a slow and steady pace. Once we reached the top of the hill we were too warm. If we saw anything tonight it would be a miracle. We gave a solid fist bump and parted ways. He to his stand and me to mine. Big step for Jack this trip, he was going to be climbing up and securing himself in the tree this trip. Funny how a dad worries. We agreed to text each other when we were both safe.

I made my way to my stand and got secured. My spot was closer to where we parted so I was set up fairly quickly. Jack on the other hand had a longer walk. Needless to say I was intently listening for screams of help and holding my phone until that important text came through letting me know he was safe. It eventually came and it was now time for dad to relax. Phew, that was a long wait.

I am carrying my first custom bow this year. It is a Ogemaw made by Chuck Deshler of Two Tracks. I love this bow. It is osage and walnut with brown glass. It pulls 55# @ 28". I haven't shot it as much as I'd like. But the little shooting I did do was great. It didn't take long for me to become comfortable with the idea of me using this bow this season. Also on this trip I had some fir arrows that we were constructed by me and good friend Dennis. He did the cresting for me, I did the rest. Can't say thank you enough for the great job. Can you believe he's only done a few sets? Imagine what his work will look like after a few more dozen under his belt?!
Sexy isn't it?!

Anyway, about two hours before last light I notice that the mosquitoes are back, worse than before and the gnats. What the heck?! I don't remember gnats! I check my thermacell, yep, outta fuel. That's okay, I've gotta spare cartridge in my pack. So I start quietly digging, and digging, and feeling blindly, and now frantically searching with my eyes and hands. You guessed it, no spare fuel. UGH! Time to cover up and suck it up.

About 45 minutes to go and I hear some consistent cadence of feet coming through the woods on the downwind side of me. This shouldn't take too long. My waist line is soaked from the sweat I produced. Well, this little buck comes to the edge of where I'm sitting and stops. He's scent checking. He knows something isn't aloof but can't quite put it all together. He carefully makes a lazy circle to his right (away from me) and goes into some thick brush and stops for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile I'm trying not swat at the skeeters eating from my exposed skin.

Eventually he comes in from a different direction and starts eating some apples that were on the ground. He was co close I could hear the apples squeaking on his teeth as he chewed. However, he'd grab an apple and then eat it while looking right at me the whole time. After every apple he stare up at me, bob his head, stomp his foot and walk away a few yards. But those apples were just too tempting. He did this two or three times before he finally decided it wasn't a good idea to stick around.

In the picture you'll also notice a mineral block. The landowner put this down last winter to get the deer to stop in front of a camera. I didn't even think about it to be honest until my good friend Dennis suggested that it may get me trouble. Fortunately after some research we discovered that it is legal to "bait" on Wisconsin. 2 gallons per 40 acres. Regardless, I don't like the idea of this so my next trip I'll be moving the mineral block after I get the landowners permission.

For the first time in my short hunting life (since 2003) I decided to pass on this buck. I'm not sure why, I had my bow in my hand when I first heard him coming in. But as soon as I saw him I put the bow down. Had it been a doe I would've shot, but this little guy got a pass. Not because he was a small buck, I'm a firm believer that you can't eat the antlers. But there was just something that said don't shoot. I don't know, we'll see if he comes back next weekend. It may end differently.

One more picture of the bow, just because it's so dang sexy!

Oh yeah! My son? He didn't see anything! Poor kid saw all those pictures and thought for sure he'd be shooting something. Oh well, it's good to disappoint the kids. We don't want them thinking this hunting thing is easy.

-Jeremy

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: WI Deer Hunt #1

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I got to agree; that's a fine looking bow!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Thanks for sharing .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Ron Kulas

#4 Post by Ron Kulas »

Where in WI???
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Great story! And yes, that's why they call it "hunting". No guarantees you'll come home with the bacon, but memories? Yeah, they're pretty much a guarantee!
Thanks for sharing! I have a bunch of WI memories in the vault myself.
And yep...that bow is hot!
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#6 Post by J. Holden »

Stay Sharp wrote:Where in WI???
Up in Dunn County.

Thank you all for the compliments. The bow is 58", forgot the elk antler tip overlays and an osage wedge in the tips. The handle wrap is deer hide. The bow is reflex/deflex and just shoots great. Thank goodness it's a lefty. Not too many people ask to shoot it!

-Jeremy

Longbowfanatic

#7 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Great story and pics! Glad you guys had a safe & fun, albeit challenging with skeeters, hunt. That bow & arrow combo is awesome. That Dennis friend you know sure does a nice job cresting. :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Longbowfanatic wrote:Great story and pics! Glad you guys had a safe & fun, albeit challenging with skeeters, hunt. That bow & arrow combo is awesome. That Dennis friend you know sure does a nice job cresting. :lol:
Careful, Jeremy...next thing you know he'll be stepping up a hat size. :?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

J. Holden wrote: ...I was able to hang my stand even while swatting at the skeeters. Jack and I pretty much ran down back down the easement to escape the swarm of blood sucking insects. It felt so good to get back to the truck, put the windows down and drive. The breeze was amazing...

...Well, when there's not much to do except kill time what do you do with a 17 year old boy? Needless to say my son was pumped...

...We gave a solid fist bump and parted ways. He to his stand and me to mine. Big step for Jack this trip, he was going to be climbing up and securing himself in the tree this trip. Funny how a dad worries. We agreed to text each other when we were both safe...

...Oh yeah! My son? He didn't see anything! Poor kid saw all those pictures and thought for sure he'd be shooting something. Oh well, it's good to disappoint the kids. We don't want them thinking this hunting thing is easy.
Glad you had a great time with your son! How about trying to get him on over here? We have a new section, "Youth Archers and Trad Hunters " that is aimed directly towards young hunters up to age 18 and it's still pretty empty. We'd love to hear Jack's side of the story as well!

http://www.tradhunter.com/tradhunter/fo ... m.php?f=75
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#10 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:
Longbowfanatic wrote:Great story and pics! Glad you guys had a safe & fun, albeit challenging with skeeters, hunt. That bow & arrow combo is awesome. That Dennis friend you know sure does a nice job cresting. :lol:
Careful, Jeremy...next thing you know he'll be stepping up a hat size. :?
Not a chance of that happening, Kirk. Jeremy always knows how to make fun of me just to keep me humble. What are friends for, right? That comment really was completely in jest. Actually, I am my own worst critic. Jeremy will tell you that when I did the cresting, I pointed out the flaws and I wasn't really please with my cresting job.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”